Difference Between 28-300 and 300MM?

ultrajeeps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I would appreciate it if anyone can break this down for me clearly. According to my knowledge, 300mm lens would not allow me to shoot at 28MM.

And if I lets say get a 105mm lens, will I be covering 24-105MM?

I am new to photography and could use all the help I can get.

Thanks.

ultrajeeps said:
Hello,

I would appreciate it if anyone can break this down for me clearly. According to my knowledge, 300mm lens would not allow me to shoot at 28MM.
Correct. What you describe (300mm) would be prime. Meaning no zoom.
And if I lets say get a 105mm lens, will I be covering 24-105MM?
False. You are still describing a prime lens. 105mm. A 24-105mm is a zoom and covers a focal range from 24mm to 105mm.

There are different types of lenses. Zoom lenses, and prime lenses. Prime lenses are 1 focal length, ie, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm, 200mm 300mm. They do not "zoom". What you see is what you get. Move your feet.

Zoom lenses will offer you a range of focal lengths, and there are many different ones out there. Ultra wide angle zooms, ie 17-40, wide angle zoom, 28-70, telephoto zoom, 70-200, and there are some zooms that cover a huge range, say from 28-300.

To specifically address your question, no a 300mm lens does not let you shoot at 28. A 28-300mm lens however will.

Also another difference between zooms and primes is that zoom lenses in general tend to be lower quality than prime lenses. This isn't to say that all zoom lenses are lower in quality than all prime lenses, but a zoom lens for the same price as a prime lens means the zoom lens is likely to be lower quality. And out of a zoom lens and a prime lens that are about the same quality, the price of the zoom will probably be higher.

Most reactions

Back