difference between D40 and D50

mortallis288

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what are the differences, wolf camera stopped selling the D50 since hte D40 came out and they are both the same prices. Im so confused:p

No need to be. The D40 replaced the D50. Get a D50 if you can. The D40 doesn't have a top LCD screen and isn't compatible with many of the older Nikkor lenses. The D40 is a downgrade from the D50. If they are the same price, then why be confused?

cause i was just looking on the wolfcamera site and they didnt have any D50's so i thought that the d40 wasnt as good of a camera just because it seems the lower the number the nto as good camera the higher the number the better the camera, and since the D50 use to be the same price as the D40 i didnt no if i should try to find a D50 somewhere. But thanks you answered my question :p

The D40 will have issues with certain AF lenses. I believe the issue comes from the D40 not having a specific motor dedicated to focusing the lens so if the lens doesn't have one in it, the D40 can't focus it. I'm not sure how many lenses this affects but it's worth knowing.

Also as previously mentioned the D40 doesn't have the LCD on top so it shows all of that info on the main LCD on the back. The good might be that the big LCD should be viewable in the dark (the top LCD on the D50 isn't backlit and hard to see in the dark) the bad ... I'd assume the bigger LCD w/backlighting would hit the battery harder.

Basically ... I think the differences are subtle.

i dont really like to use autofocus anyway so that really doesnt bother me, although it would prob help my not in focus ones out a lot, anyways so the only other thing is hte backlight screen. What kind of batteries do DSLR use? i have a SLR and i know they use those little batteries that last forever

Most reactions

Back