Difference between EF and EF-S lenses?

aarhap

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are the differences? I have an EF-S 18-55mm and it seems rather flimsy and low quality compared to the 30-80mm EF lens I have, but thats the only difference I could find...

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
EF lenses are originally designed for 35mm film cameras. Their image circle (image projected into the camera) is big enough to cover 35mm film or a full frame digital sensor (as in the 5D or 1Ds).
Cameras like yours, have a smaller sensor, which is OK but it only sees the middle section of the image circle...'cropping' the edges off. This makes it hard to get a wide angle view.

For this reason, Canon made EF-S lenses. They are designed only for cameras with sensors smaller than full frame. Their image circle isn't as big and their rear element sticks into the camera a bit farther than EF lenses. Basically, they are a cheaper & smaller way to get wider views on crop cameras.

So EF lenses can be used on any EOS camera, film or digital. EF-S lenses must be used on 'crop' bodies only.

Build quality isn't part of it. Sure, your EF-S 18-55mm lens feels like a toy...but there are plenty of EF lenses that are just as bad. There are EF-S lenses that are much, much better (well most of them are better than the 18-55mm).

OP
aarhap

aarhap

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Ahhh right, it all makes sense now. Thanks for that :D

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics