Difference- Digital and DSLR?

disposable cameras are 35 mm and most SLR's are cropped sensor. I've seen some pretty nice shots on disposables too.

Like mike said the sensor is the biggest difference.

Price, size, and all that jazz.

Wow, thanks for the input and responses. With all this said I am going to get me a DSLR and I think I am going to go with Nikon. I am debating between the different types of Nikon.

I am looking at the D40, D60, D80 right now. I want a professional grade camera in case I decide to start doing professional work, but don't want to spend an arm an a leg.

What camera should I be looking at and not worry about people thinking I am a joke if I go and show up to shoot a wedding or to do real estate/architectural photography?

I believe d40 is roughly same size as rebel xt. If Rebel xt was my only camera choice I'd get one of those battery grips to make it look bigger. There's more to wedding photography than looking like joke though.

Do they make battery grips for Nikons? D80 chances are people in weddings won't have but its very possible that someone in a wedding will have d40/rebel.

Then again people see my rebel and are intimidated.

Also consider not the camera body, but also the lenses = that is where the real quality is. A bottom of the market DSLR body with a top range lens and a user who knows that they are doing is able to take some stunning shots = so at your stage I would look at the moment to the lower end bodies (many pros use them as backups as well) and possible one or two really good lenses
ps - before you ask - the best lenses are the ones that let you do what you want = so are there any areas specifically that you are aiming for? e.g. people, protrates, weddings, wildlife etc

What camera should I be looking at and not worry about people thinking I am a joke if I go and show up to shoot a wedding or to do real estate/architectural photography?
Don't worry about how you look...worry about how your images will look. The gear does not make the photographer.

Awesome advice!! I am probably going to stick with the lower costs of the D40 or D60 and then get some good lenses. I want a lense that will do wide angles (panoramic).

What lense do you all recommend for a Nikon to do this? What other lenses would your recommend for the Nikon that would do a good job at taking architectural photography?

In general, short focal length will give you wider view.

For example, a photo taken with a 18mm lens will have a wider view than the one took with 50mm lens.

But how wide is enough for you ... you may need to try it and see. The kit lens that came with my camera can do 18mm and so far I am satisfy with it. (But of course, the image quality is not as good as some of those better lens. I am thinking about getting Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 to replace my kit lens later)

And I would like to share with you that, my lens choices change as I know more about my camera and photography. I started with a kit lens 18mm-55mm and a prime 50mm f/1.8. I was thinking about getting a Sigma 18mm-200mm OS lens. But at this stage, I would rather get a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens because of the image quality and wider aperture. (or faster lens). I may add a longer range zoom and few more prime lens later. At least that is what I like to do now, I may change my mind later.

There are a lot of lens out there, some of them are cheap and some of them cost more, a LOT more. In order to find one that meet you need, I think you may need to know more about the camera, photography and know why some lens are more expensive. At that time, you will have a better picture of what lens is good for you. Instead of others tell you what you need to get, it is you know what you need to get.

Sorry, I am not trying to stop you from getting advice here. I was in the same situation in the past, what lens should I buy?? But a lot of don't make sense expensive lens now make more sense as I know more. Whether I should get one is a different story. But at least I know why I need to pay more if I really need to get that lens.

So my advice is if you can find a cheap kit lens, go with it and learn more about the camera, lens and all the stuff that go with it. And you will know what you need to get in the near future.

Just like, I really do not think "Big Mike" will ask around for lens recommendation. Am I right, Mike?

Good info Dao! So I guess the 18mm-55mm that comes with the camera will be good for now and then as I get more involved and understand more then I can pursue different and better lenses.

That would be a good start - you can learn a lot about the camera on the kit lens - and it will also help you work out where the strengths and weaknesses of it (and you) are and what it will and won't let you do. Give it a month or so with good use and you will be much better for it :)

That would be a good start - you can learn a lot about the camera on the kit lens - and it will also help you work out where the strengths and weaknesses of it (and you) are and what it will and won't let you do. Give it a month or so with good use and you will be much better for it :)

Awesome thanks!

I want to start taking some wide angle pictures right away. Nothing that has to be an exact panoramic pic, but something that is wide. I am hoping the 18mm that comes with it will do the job of what I am wanting to do.

hmm if it can't you can cheat a little;
Get a program like photoshop elements 6 which has a built in panoramic stiching program. Then when out in the field put your camera on a tripod (cheap one will do for now) and take a shot of one corner of what you want wide, then take a second shot of the other side - making sure to get a good 20% overlap between the 2 shots. Photoshop will then be able to stitch the two together :)
And this will work for even more shots so you can take a load of say a landscape and stitch them together.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back