Difference in results?

mobe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

Please help me find out the problem here.
It goes like, I have a Canon EOS 500D, and a friend of mine has Nikkon 1000D. We both went on a photo session, we came across a statue and agreed to shoot it with our cameras. We took the photographs and the problem appears to be, my photograph has a lot of noise when I view it on actual size, but his photograph has less noise than mine. Plus, in his photograph, the background is way too much blurred, but mine is just a little blurry. And the details in his photo is much clear than mine...

Please tell me whats the problem here?

Thanks!

need more information, but it sounds as if the cameras had different settings,

where you both shooting in auto mode, etc.

check the metadata for both shots and compare the ISo, shutter speed and fstop used and you will find the answer. Or, post that information and someone can example why the difference occured.

We used the same settings... ISO400, f/5.8, shutter speed 1/10, auto WB... we both have same lenses as well, 18-55mm

I believe mine should have more details as its 15 mega pixel, and his camera is only 10 mega pixel... it pisses me off, I paid a good sum to get that Canon 500D... and read a lot of reviews before I bought it.

Please guide me :(

I want you people to look at the last pictures (fireman) in the below link... I wanna shoot something like this, but end up with a lot of noise and bad photograph..
Nikon D3 Example Images

More megapixels will mean more noise, in your friends camera there is less pixels to heat up and create noise.

Ok, thanks James, I really didn't know that, stupid me, lol...

Now what I wanna know is, does photo quality depend on the lens or the settings?

Here is a website, check out the breathtaking photos of insects...
Agnieszka Czarnocka | Portfolio

In short yes, the lens and settings have everything to do with the image quality. What was the exact kit you and your friend were using ? lens and body

no i mean the exact lens and body, model numbers etc

Shooting at 1/10 will give you blurry photos, your photo was probably under exposed which wil give you more noise also it takes time and lots of practise to get photos like that

The problem, Mainly. You.

I dont mean to be... mean.

most problems occur by the person themselves
the only way to test cameras together would be:
use the SAME lens meaning third part (sigma or tamron) or using an adapter.
using the equivillent settings (on some cameras a shutter of 1/200 is the 1/120 on another. settings are just an estimate.)
meaning , each photo would have to be correctly exposed for each camera, same metering etc...
its not that he is better, just his settings happened to be better that time, and his lens probably had a closer view than yours and set to a smaller f/#

so many things come into the equation.

just read the thread, as said in my last post, your 1/10 is probably quicker than his 1/10
your 1/10 is possibly the equivillent to his 1/30
ISO is also different for each camera
and sometimes even aperture is different, were you both zoomed in to maximum (remember 55mm is just a guess, it could actually be 50 mm or it could be 60 mm etc..)
even if your friend had a canon 500D the pictures would still come out different.
no 2 cameras are the same

its just like if you got 2 humans, same hair style, same colour of eyes, same everything (lets say twins.) and ask them to draw a house, their houses will look different.
n 2 things are ever the EXACT same.

about the fireman:
that is at nikons MINIMUM ISO which means less noise.

think of sensor cells like a frying pan..

the more heat it has, the quicker it will fry the egg, but you will also get oil spitting out at you.
egg = light, spitting = noise
but if you set the frying pan to a lower heat, the egg takes longer to cook but you get no / less spitting.

and nikon is in general better ISO handling than canon usually.

Last edited:
Ok, that sheds a lot of light on the issue... Thanks William, makes sense... Really appreciate your reply, thanks again...

Hey everyone,

Please help me find out the problem here.
It goes like, I have a Canon EOS 500D, and a friend of mine has Nikkon 1000D. We both went on a photo session, we came across a statue and agreed to shoot it with our cameras. We took the photographs and the problem appears to be, my photograph has a lot of noise when I view it on actual size, but his photograph has less noise than mine. Plus, in his photograph, the background is way too much blurred, but mine is just a little blurry. And the details in his photo is much clear than mine...

Please tell me whats the problem here?

Thanks!

Impossible to answer without knowing more ad seeing images.

ok, i'll post the images as soon as i go home.

yup .. post pictures of both with exif data... Its impossible to discuss otherwise.

EVEN if your ISO settings were the same, even underexposure will cause the noise to be more apparent. Yes... denser sensors tend to produce more noise.

Most reactions

Back