Differences between new & old 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 G?

gregtallica

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I have my d7000 body on the way and have decided the 18-200 is what I'm going to pair up with. I'm searching KEH/BH/Amazon... What are the differences between the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II and the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR?

new:
Amazon.com: Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Nikkor Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DX-Format Digital SLR Cameras: NIKON: Electronics

old:
Amazon.com: Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom Nikkor Lens: Camera & Photo

Besides $100, what are the main differences? I'm finding, I guess, the old one used for like $450, while the new one I can't find less than $600 used.

It seems they both have the auto focus motor, meaning they would both work on my D7000 as well as my girlfriends D5100, correct?

Does one just have better glass?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
AFAIK, the new version has a zoom lock and the rest is the same for both.

I was just going to say - got help from someone PM'ing me a link.

For anyone else wondering - the only difference is a zoom lock. It looks like it should maybe even autofocus with a 5100> due to the internal motor. Just my brief observations.

I'm going to get the older version, save myself $150+.

Whether the zoom lock is an important feature, maybe someone can comment on? Obviously Nikon felt it was a needed feature, but was that just to be able to charge a little more, and sell more lenses?

Both versions will work with the D5100 as both are AF-S lenses. Also IMO a zoom lock will be truly useful if the lens is large, heavy and is known to have lens creep. The 18-200mm IMO is still a reasonably sized lens with a length of 96.5mm and relatively light at 560g but known to have some lens creep. But if you can shoot with both hands comfortably then you can still do away without a zoom lock and use the $150 for something else like a 50mm 1.8D prime, a YN565 EX speedlight, a decent tripod or you can simply put the savings in the bank. Just my two cents. :)

PS If lens creep is still an issue for you then you may also want to consider this.

www.lensband.com

Any superzoom lens (10x+ zoom range) is a collection of lens design compromises that make them jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lenses.

Convenience is important to a lot of people, so lens makers sell a fair number of superzoom lenses even though they are only capable of delivering mediocre overall image quality.

Most reactions

Back