Differences in the D's..

venustas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are the differences in the D's in cameras??

Like 20d 1d 300d etc

The lower the number the better?

Basically yes as far as canon goes. The xD series is the pro line, The XXD is prosumer, and XXXD is consumer.

Nikon is all over the board with numbering.

Canon model numbers currently end in D, and i think all Nikon's currently start with D.

In Nikon, a single-digit means a professional, flagship-grade camera. Like,for example the D1 and D1h and D1x were their first three pro-level models in order. The D1h was the D1, improved a bit to be a high-speed camera. The D1x was the high-resolution version of the first-generation D1 series.

Then came the D2h with 'h' for high-speed; the last revison was the D2Hs Then came the D2x, then the D2Xs. Then the D3--no additional letters, just the D3. Then the D3x high-res model, then the original D3 was updated to D3s.

Canon has been similar: their flagship was the original 1D, a 4.2 MP pro-sports/news/generalist body. They went with the letter 's' for studio/high resolution. 1Ds was 11MP FF, 1Ds-Mk II was 16.7 MP, 1Ds Mk III was 21.7 (MP). All of Canon's "s' models in the 1Ds series are their Full-Frame, high-resolution models. Their 1D, 1D Mark II, 1D Mark II-N, and 1D Mark III models are their "speed" bodies,all with 1.3x FOV APS-H sized sensors.

In Canon-speak a 5D is a higher-level body than a 50D. The 7D sort of broke the mold on their D30-D60-10D-20D-30D-40D-50D "consumer" line of mid-level bodies, but then the 7D is a higher-class body than the seven bodies that came before it; the 7D is aimed right at Nikon's D300 semi-pro body,and is a direct attempt to migrate the feature set significantly higher than it was in the 10D-50D body series.; color-aware metering, built-in wireless flash commander, high-speed advance, 19-area AF,etc,etc.

Canon's Rebel series have USA/Canada/Mexico names, and European/UK names; letters on this continent, numbers elsewhere, plus their own Japanese-market names like Kiss Digital for the original Rebel.

Nikon....in consumer bodies, the higher the number, the higher the price and features. The D100-D200-D300-D300s are the upper-end or semi-pro bodies.These come out every four years or so,and are the models right below the flagship-class bodies.

The Nikon D70, D70s, D50, then D40, D40x, D60,D80,D90 have been the models most hobbyists want to buy. Now, Nikon is off on the D3000 and D5000 kick, which is,well, probably because they have been making d-slrs for a full decade now, since 1998, and because they need a new way to differentiate models now.

The Nikon D70, D70s, D50, then D40, D40x, D60,D80,D90 have been the models most hobbyists want to buy. Now, Nikon is off on the D3000 and D5000 kick, which is,well, probably because they have been making d-slrs for a full decade now, since 1998, and because they need a new way to differentiate models now.

I think its more that that section of Nikon's line has branched into two segments, although there is currently only one model in one of the branches.

The originally the Dnn, two digit numeral, segment was the entry level consumer segment. As it expanded it acquired a series of cross over models, the D80 and D90, that span the consumer/pro-sumer boundary. The other models began to diverge toward more simplification beginning with the D40.

Nikon's old two digit Dnn group is now spit in two. There is the two digit group, a group of one current model the D90, and the 4 digit group containing the D3000 and D5000.

Trying to sort the discontinued models into these two groups is not really possible. The D40, D40x, and D60 certainly belong with the new 4 digit group and the D80 certainly belongs with the D90. Where the older D70 and D50 fit is impossible to say as their feature set both includes and omits key features of both groups.

Ugh, pick a new letter! I guess as a Nikon girl, I can keep our models straight, but Canon confuses me! I have to study my Popular Photography to keep me straight!

Ugh, pick a new letter! I guess as a Nikon girl, I can keep our models straight, but Canon confuses me! I have to study my Popular Photography to keep me straight!
I'll give you that much about Nikon, though as was pointed out jumps The Nikon D70, D70s, D50, then D40, D40x, D60,D80,D90, d5000, d3000 are a bit off. Canon, other then Rebels is actually pretty simple depending on how far back you go - 10d 20d, 30d, 40d, 50d, 7d; 5d, 5dm2...
List of Canon products - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rebels, when someone asks me about, I have to lookup. I never know which one is which.

What are the differences in the D's in cameras??

Like 20d 1d 300d etc

The lower the number the better?
:lol: Do you mean the
  • In North America, Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS) Digital Rebel
  • in Japan Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS) Kiss Digital
  • and the rest of the world, Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS)300d
  • the Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS) 20D
  • and which Canon Electro-Optical-System 1D are you referring to the Mark I, Mark II, Mark III or the new Mark IV?
We'll skip the Canon Electro-Optical-System 1Ds and all its Marks.

Most Canon cameras have a different name in different parts of the world, as noted above.

Another case in point:
  • the Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS) 500D
  • is known in North America as the Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS) Digital Rebel T1i
  • and in Japan as the Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS) Kiss Digital X3. :lol:
A Nikon D300, is a Nikon D300 everywhere on the planet.
A Nikon D60, is a Nikon D60 everywhere on the planet.

Nikon doesn't use a bunch of naming hype to brand their digital cameras like Canon does. They just use a number system to differentiate the 3 levels of camera they offer, though they did just start a new number sequence for the entry-level cameras, Dxxxx instead of the previous Dxx.

Rebels, when someone asks me about, I have to lookup. I never know which one is which.
same :/

• In North America, Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS) Digital Rebel
  • in Japan Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS) Kiss Digital
  • and the rest of the world, Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS)300d
  • the Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS) 20D
  • and which Canon Electro-Optical-System 1D are you referring to the Mark I, Mark II, Mark III or the new Mark IV?
We'll skip the Canon Electro-Optical-System 1Ds and all its Marks.

Most Canon cameras have a different name in different parts of the world, as noted above.

Another case in point:
  • the Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS) 500D
  • is known in North America as the Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS) Digital Rebel T1i
  • and in Japan as the Canon Electro-Optical-System (EOS) Kiss Digital X3. :lol:
A Nikon D300, is a Nikon D300 everywhere on the planet.
A Nikon D60, is a Nikon D60 everywhere on the planet.

Nikon doesn't use a bunch of naming hype to brand their digital cameras like Canon does.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Most reactions

Back