Different Exposures

FlightOne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I just recently got interested into photography and I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions on "different exposures" (not sure if I am using the right term). From what I understand, exposure is basically a relationship between Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO. Could someone verify whether this is correct or not? Also, how do I know when to use different exposures (i.e different combinations of Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO)? Are there any rules of thumb I need to keep in mind? Thanks in advance!

Let's say you are taking pictures of an action scene and you want to convey the movement of the subject ... you would use shutter speed and possibly panning to add motion blur ... or a landscape where you wanted to capture detail in the entire scene, so you would manipulate your aperture.

So let's say that I'm taking a picture of a lighthouse. How does the exposure make the lighthouse look like this Pigeon Point Lighthouse | Flickr - Photo Sharing! instead of like a regular lighthouse. Are there any rules of thumb I can bear in mind outside high shutter speed in sports? Sorry if I'm sounding like a noob.

Judging by the description, it's not a 'trick' image.... the lighthouse sends the light out in 24 directions. It's just a matter of correct exposure.

Judging by the description, it's not a 'trick' image.... the lighthouse sends the light out in 24 directions. It's just a matter of correct exposure.
Right, say I wanted to take that exact picture, how would I calculate the exposure?

Knowing this was a once-per-year event, I would visit the site several times beforehand and use a spot meter on the tower. Take a variety of shots, making note of what exposures provide desired results. Study the sample shots on my computer, paying attention to the histogram. Return on The Big Night prepared.

Knowing this was a once-per-year event, I would visit the site several times beforehand and use a spot meter on the tower. Take a variety of shots, making note of what exposures provide desired results. Study the sample shots on my computer, paying attention to the histogram. Return on The Big Night prepared.
So it's just guess and check?

Right, say I wanted to take that exact picture, how would I calculate the exposure?
Time how long it takes to the light to go all the way around once, make your exposure time at least that long, make your aperture/ISO whatever would be appropriate to get the exposure you want for the surrounding structures.

The photographer indicated in the description several test shots were taken in the time right before the one he posted was made. It's not very likely you could make that same exact photo, because of the fog. You could make it close to the same, but not exact

Plus with experience photographers that don't rely on auto modes can get pretty good at 'seeing' the light and closely guestimating what exposure setting values will work.

Also note that there is a relationship between the 3 exposure triad settings known as a 'stop'. If I add a stop of lens aperture, but subtract a stop of shutter speed, I still have the same exact exposure but I will have altered the motion stopping ability of the shutter speed and the depth-of-field the lens will render.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back