Different Lens for Nikon D40

Calavera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I am new to this forum and new to Digital photography. Although I have knowledge of Film SLR, i am completely "in the dark" with Digital SLR and have a few questions. I received a Nikon D40 for christmas and I absolutely love it so far. However, I feel a bit limited shooting with just the stock AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm lens. My main area of interest is shooting nature photos as well as photos of my reptiles. I find that with the 18-55mm lens, I am able to get some great macro shots, which emphasize the color and texture of my chameleons scalation. However, I would also like to own a lens that allows me to get some decent ranged shots; for example, I wold like to be able to take pictures of wildlife in their natural state. What type of Lens would you recommend for this approach? From what I am aware, Nikon's D40 series lacks an internal motor, which limits it to only lenses with built-in internal motors? This means that my D40 is only compatible with AF-s type lenses, correct? If this is true, what type of lenses am I limited to with this type of DSLR? Thanks so much for your help!:hail:

-Cala-

You can get ANY Nikon AF-S lenses...or technically, AF-i lenses as well.

You could even get other lenses from Nikon, but you just can't autofocus.

You probably want something like a 300mm. Give us a budget.

Please don't post your questions twice.

The D40 does not have an internal focus motor (like most all other Nikon SLR cameras)...so you need lenses that have their own motors...but that's only if you want to have autofocus. I'm fairly sure that you can mount other types of Nikon (or compatible) lenses on the camera and just focus them manually.

For shooting wildlife, you might want a telephoto lens (long focal length). There are plenty to choose from and the price range goes from >$200 to well over $8000....so what's your budget?

I have the sigma 70-300mm f 4-5.6 apo dg w macro lens.

it may be good for what you need, i think it will work the the d40, but you will need to doublecheck ( i have d 50)

they got for about $250-$300 in stores, but i got it new off ebay for $170

sample pics
300mm

Picture-277-1.jpg

Picture-323-1.jpg

Picture-042-2.jpg

300mm macro mode

Picture-100-1.jpg

AUG30-07-379.jpg

Picture-083.jpg

Yeah, sorry for posting twice. I originally posted in the digital forum and then decided that this was a better place. I didn't know how to delete the old post. I am thinking my budget is probably around 300 dollars at the moment.

-Cala-

The Sigma 70-300mm doesn't autofocus on the D40, my girlfriend has that lens and i tried it on mine.

Get a Nikkor 70-300 VR, It will AF on the D40 and it'd be for the better anyway.

I assume the Sigma 70-300mm DL autofocus zoom lens will not work either? I found one for 100 bucks and was just wondering if it would be worth purchasing for my D40?

-Cala-

Sigma HSM lenses are the equivalent of the AF-S Nikkors, and they will autofocus on the D40/D40x. I have the 30 mm f/1.4 HSM Sigma and it works quite well on my D40x.

Best,
Helen

You could try the Nikon 55-200 VR for about $200, but for wildlife I suspect you'll want at least a 300mm. For that, the 70-300 VR is the best thing out there that will autofocus on the D40 and it's $500. I just got one of these for Christmas and it's definitely a great lens, but haven't had a chance to shoot much with it yet besides indoor portraits.

i purchased the [SIZE=-1]NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED for a good all around lens and absolutely love it, however, i'm unsure if it will meet your needs due to it's 200mm limit. [/SIZE]

55-200 isn't hardly long enough for really good nature/wildlife pictures. It's a very sharp lens for it's price, but it just lacks that little bit of extra reach you need. If you have 300 to spend I'd honestly save another 100 and pick up a used 70-300 VR.

If you don't want to spend that then the 55-200 is a good little lens. I really enjoy mine, although mine is only being used to get by with until I can afford a 70-300 VR.

Most reactions

Back