Difficulty removing film from Yashica 635

camperbc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am having a great time shooting with my lovely Yashica 635 TLR, but I find that when I have finished a roll of film and go to remove it, I have a bit of a struggle to get the spool out. (seems to bind...a pretty tight fit, no matter how many different spools I try, both old and new) It's fine when it is in place; (spins easily) is only difficult to remove. I suppose my pudgy fingers don't help matters any, but I just wonder if there is a knack to getting it out easily. I pull out the spool stud knob fully, but still, due to the angle the spool needs to be at to come out of there, it wants to get hung up. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks,
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland: about my photography:

parts11.jpg

I shot two rolls with my Yashica 635 about six weeks ago..and lemme' tell ya...that danged exposed film seems to be rooted in there like a molar...it was like pulling freakin' TEETH to get the film out...I dunno...maybe a more-experienced fixed-back 120 rollfilm shooter like Compur or Mitica could tell us mere mortals how to get the doggone film out without ripping off a fingernail...

I dunno. Never had that much trouble with my Yashica-Mats or other Yashica TLRs. Maybe the 635 is different but I just pull out and hold the knob and rotate the roll out. Maybe you're not pulling the knob out far enough? My rolls usually pop out almost by themselves.

My 'D' can be difficult to get the spool out sometime too.

What i do with my C330 is push to the right hand side of the film while pulling the pin and it pops up not sure if it will work with the yashica but if not i would carry my leatherman to pull it out

I also have a 635. When usiong 120 it takes getting the slot in the film roll lined up so it will pop up. Pull the left side knob as far as it will go and then turn the right knob until the film pops up. It sure beats the rewinding of a 36 exp roll of 35mm. It is easier on the 124G but not that difficult. I think there is a spring to help push the roll on all but the 635 because it would ride on the film itself rather than the paper backing.

bsinmich has the right idea. It's been a lot of years since I used a 635 but here goes.

When you wind the film the spool fits on (for lack of a better word) a pin/bar on the right side. When you are looking into the camera is the bar is parallel with the floor it wil be difficult to lift out the spool. Using the advance knob turn until this pin/bar is pointing up and it wil be easier to remove the spool.

Most reactions

Back