Digiscoping????

Flon18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was watching a Birding show on the TV and the guy was shooting threw a spotting scope of some kind. Any one do this, what are the do's and dont's for setting this up. Just looking for more information on the subject.

I have one, it's not easy to use with DSLR IMO. I often get vignetting. I use it to take pics of birds and the night sky... i need a LOT more practice.

So this is not a just case of using a Knife blade as a pry bar, sure it works buts its not the best tool for the job.......Is there advatages to doing this, is cost one of them.

So this is not a just case of using a Knife blade as a pry bar, sure it works buts its not the best tool for the job.......Is there advatages to doing this, is cost one of them.

Cost is not necessarily a benefit. A good spotting scope costs and much as a good lens.

Yes and no. Spotting scopes are optimized for the human eye rather than a camera body. Camera lenses are just the opposite. The human eye/brain can deal with chromatic aberration much better than a camera sensor. The coatings on at least some scopes will probably be different than on a camera lens. Plus just like a camera lens you get what you pay for.

Optically, there is no way that this scope: Meade Condor 20-60x60 Spotting Scope Kit 81014 B&H Photo Video is going to be close to this scope in quality: Nikon EDG VR Fieldscope 20-60x85mm Spotting Scope (Angled) 8275

As Kmh mentioned you have a fixed aperture to deal with.

Digiscoping tends to be very popular with bird watchers over bird photographers - where its more about record keeping than photographic quality. As said a good scope can be as much if not more than a good lens and that whilst they offer long reach, it comes with optical limitations.

A lot depends on how much you want to invest - far as I know you can (cheaply) get more range from digiscoping as opposed to regular lenses - but cheap digiscopes are going to be much more limited esp if not in good light - like I said at that angle is more about getting record keeping shots of the birds than anything else.

Most reactions

Back