Digital/Analog-NO not a comparative discussion.

What medium do you use/prefer ?

• I use film wholly/mainly-It's what I enjoy.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • I use digital wholl/mainly-It's what I enjoy

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I use digital and film is dying.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I use film, digital is not of sufficient quality.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I use both formats, they each have a use.

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • I use film, I would like to move to digital but gear is too expensive yet.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I use digital, I think film is too complex.

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
saulmr said:
I love the results on film, and the B&W darkroom is a magical experience, but I don't have the time to go trough the whole process.

Right now I shoot film because I cannot afford a good DSRL, so I develop and scan negatives and prints to get them to look the way I want.
I can process a roll (15 min including set up and tidy away), let it dry while I do something else then spend a few hours on a weekend evening producing one or two reasonable prints-beats TV !

Looking at your Blog you make a very good job of it ! BTW if those are scanned B&W I am VERY impressed.

I can process a roll (15 min including set up and tidy away), let it dry while I do something else then spend a few hours on a weekend evening producing one or two reasonable prints-beats TV
Welcome, kindred spirit! :thumbup: :lol:

I use digital because that's all I can afford. I got the camera as a present and uploading pics onto my computer is ultra-cheap. I would love to get into film, i have to convince my father to let me use his camera, he's got an old Canon...

Cost of good s/h 35 mm SLR approx £80 incl lens (less on the bay)

Cost of reasonable quality DSLR £700

Film cost 1 x 36 exp per month = £2.50 (until you start getting picky)
Processing cost (1 hour processing 6 x 4) £8 (often with a 'free' film)

Cost of 12 films plus processing per year = £180.
I have not included the cost of printing your digital photos
(ink is not cheap :meh:)

In 3 years cost of 1 photo per day on 35mm = £540. By this time your top of the range DSLR is virtually worthless because the technology will be producing prints which are approaching or equaling that of film.

Show this to your Dad :lol:

skylark said:
Keep on making GOOD images however you do it, and have FUN !!!
:thumbup:

Btw, I voted Both.

skylark said:
It may be an age thing, I used to want everything done 5 minutes ago, now I'm knocking on the door of a half century on this planet I prefer taking time over some things-it actually de-stresses me (is that a word ?).

Nah, I hear ya...it must just have not been my de-stressor. But I understand...after all, I knit. Is there anything slower??? :lol: There was something strangely satisfying about the darkroom but I found it a chore to go over there. Perhaps because it was on an enormous campus and I had to ride my bike 2 miles just to go. Maybe if I had my own dark room....

Anyway I see where you're coming from, cool viewpoint. I am still a fan of digital but only time will tell (I'm only a quarter-century old yet!)

Gadzooks ! - It looks like the demise of film is greatly exaggerated. Seems a lot of people still shoot only film or use it as part of their 'armoury'. Nice to see so few who actually think film is past it's sell by date too.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Much of what I shoot is digital but there are times that there really is no substitute for film. There's just a richness in film that I have yet to see duplicated by todays aps sized digital sensors. :lovey: I have all of the stuff to set up a darkroom but no space and no time. Strange but somedays I really long for the smell of stop bath and the quiet solitude of darkroom time. **sigh**

Most reactions

Back