Digital and/or Film

• Total voters

jbylake

Dodging the Men in Black
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just curious, no matter what your level of experience is:

Just trying to get some kind of idea of how many people shoot what.

Thanks for participating.

I'd have to say none of the above. You didn't include "I shoot film, and digital rarely."

It's hard to compare the two. When shooting digital I can click away to my heart's content. I can shoot 700+ frames and it doesn't cost me anything. When I get home I can dump them to my computer. I can delete the one's that I later decide are not worth keeping.

With film it's different. I pay for each frame whether it turns out or not. I exercise more discretion when deciding to press the shutter. I have to pay for processing, even if I'm only paying for the chemistry to process it myself.

So if your metric is the number of frames I shoot, then I shoot more digital. But if you're asking which camera I grab as I go out the door (just so I'll have a camera in case a great shot comes up), I almost always grab the film camera.

I started out as a digital photographer, and occasionally would shoot film. Then I started taking classes that required me to shoot film, and I got into really playing with it and stretching it's boundaries. I recently bought a Mamiya RB67 and am in the process of selling my dSLR. No matter how good the dSLR, I still think film looks better in nearly every way.

I'd have to say none of the above. You didn't include "I shoot film, and digital rarely."

I probably would have chosen this option had it been there. I primarily shoot medium and large format film (I do use some 35mm, but only for stereo slides) - I use only film for serious photography - but I do have a digital camera that we use for snaps, casual vacation pics, to document home improvements and whatnot.

- Randy

I've had my share of film cameras over the years, but once digital came out I've never gone back... that is until recently.

After my purchase of the Nikon D90 I started getting more into photography, as expected. I started reading more and getting involved in forums and found talking about film, which got me curious.

So I bought a Nikon N75, worked incredibly well and was really fun to use. But... it's expensive. The film and processing really add up. Oddly enough, in some ways this is what I was hoping for. The main reason I got the N75 was to see if it would slow me down and make me be more selective on my shots as well as concentrating on my composition more. With digital you can just pop off 50 shots in no time with virtually no ill effects, with film you'll go through 2 rolls doing this.

I voted digital only since I consider 'rarely' too often :lol:

It's hard to compare the two. When shooting digital I can click away to my heart's content. I can shoot 700+ frames and it doesn't cost me anything. When I get home I can dump them to my computer. I can delete the one's that I later decide are not worth keeping.

With film it's different. I pay for each frame whether it turns out or not. I exercise more discretion when deciding to press the shutter. I have to pay for processing, even if I'm only paying for the chemistry to process it myself.

So if your metric is the number of frames I shoot, then I shoot more digital. But if you're asking which camera I grab as I go out the door (just so I'll have a camera in case a great shot comes up), I almost always grab the film camera.

Yeah, I goofed. I meant to include I shoot mostly film, and digital rarely.
And I didn't think through the question to take into consideration how many times you push the button. What I was really trying to say, is, If heading out the door, and you only take one camera, which would you grab more often. Or which you would prefer to shoot more often, digital or film. Thanks for pointing that out.

J.:mrgreen:

Hmmm, another film/digital poll. :meh:

So far, so good - but I'm just popping in here to say that the second the tone goes flat in this thread, it will vanish. :D

Shot 35mm for about 20 years, then started using digital. As my digital cameras got better, I eased away from film and shot almost all digital for several years. Last year I started feeling a tug that's pulled me back to film again, but this time medium format, which I always wanted to do, but thought it would be too expensive to get into.

I've now decided to quit sending out and paying for lab processing, and I should be hanging my first negatives to dry sometime this week, and I'm really excited about that! :thumbup:

So, at the moment, I shoot digital, and shoot film rarely, but enjoying both.

I shoot digital cameras with my Winchester.

Same here. I generally only shoot digital if i'm shooting for someone else, or if I just need a quick shot for some reason, like ebay, forums, etc.

My response is based on the assumption that the question applies to what I do now and not what I've done in the past.

I use a Nikon D80 and a medium format toy camera, Diana lomo. I prefer the Diana for compositional values; prime lens with a screwed up viewfinder. You have to spend atleast 5-10 mins trying to think out a decent composition. With only 12 shots per roll, it makes you think twice before dragging the shutter. I use the Diana for strengthening my fundamentals and increasing my creativity, which helps me with my digital shooting where I try to recreate the same kind of discipline and creativity.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back