digital backdrops/backgrounds

Haha!! I did see some that reminded me of the sears pics my parents had taken of me as a child...I'm referring more to the grunge backdrops and doors and such..no magical fairies and a kid inserted on a magic mushroom....

will probalby just depend on how good a quality it is and how good a job people are of processing. ive seen some from amatuers that just looked horrible.

A digital background would pretty much be a composite, right?

This guy is pretty damned good at it.

See post below.

Last edited:
Very impressive for sure! Yes, somewhat like that without the HDR on my subjects :)

They can be awesome-if you have good skills with the greenscreen and with cut and paste around hair in photoshop. Otherwise? Don't waste your money. They generally don't look so hot without the mad PS skills to match.

Ok...in that case, I won't waste my money...I'm getting better in PS, but far from great... thanks!

Ok...in that case, I won't waste my money...I'm getting better in PS, but far from great... thanks!
It's a good call. I am good in photoshop but I know that chances are I couldn't even do it remotely well.

I downloaded a couple free digital backdrops just to try it...the hair cutout is by far the most frustrating...if it's a solid color you can blur the edges around the hair a bit to blend, but for the most part the pics I did were not good! Lol!

It helps if you use a green screen or blue as there are neither of those colors in the human form. High key white can work even better I hear. Not sure how true this is or not, but I am told that with high key white there is no color cast around those fine things, so the blending is easier. My thoughts lean towards, OK, what if I were putting my subject into a darker scene? That's quite often the case. However, I just don't know what I don't know!

I prefer a gray or non-backlit white background. The green and blue screens were meant for video and suck for still photography unless you like your subjects to have green and blue casts on their skin and hair. It does take quite a bit of practice in PS. This is one I did on a green screen and I still see green in her skin. The kid, background, drawers and food are all separate images.

ChefBianca3.jpg

Thanks! When I used it with white, it was okay... anything darker was just plain horrible...will practice a bit more and see if it's for me :)

Most reactions

Back