Digital Camera, Fast, £250 MAX

josh.thomas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm currently using a Sony DSC-S40 Cybershot - tiny little Sony, high res, optical and digi zoom - started out perfect 2 months ago.

But, I'm wanting to do shots where things are 'in motion' (ie: a few weeks ago, tried snapping my brother jumping mid-air on the trampoline) - I find the camera lags, and by the time the photo is taken, hes already landed!

What can I get for £250 MAX, that with take the photos almost instantly? I'm new to photography so Im not sure if theres a specific camera for this type of shot, SLR or something, I dont even know what that means!

Sorry to sound so stupid, Just started photography for A-level, been predicted an A, but its a matter of learning what everything does lol :blushing:

josh.thomas said:
Hey there!

I'm currently using a Sony DSC-S40 Cybershot - tiny little Sony, high res, optical and digi zoom - started out perfect 2 months ago.

But, I'm wanting to do shots where things are 'in motion' (ie: a few weeks ago, tried snapping my brother jumping mid-air on the trampoline) - I find the camera lags, and by the time the photo is taken, hes already landed!

What can I get for £250 MAX, that with take the photos almost instantly? I'm new to photography so Im not sure if theres a specific camera for this type of shot, SLR or something, I dont even know what that means!

Sorry to sound so stupid, Just started photography for A-level, been predicted an A, but its a matter of learning what everything does lol :blushing:

Hi Josh. You may want to check this FAQ thread for basic information:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3028

An SLR will do the job you describe, because they don't suffer from the shutter lag that you have with your Sony. SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex, which means that when you look through the viewfinder you are seeing through the big lens on the front, via a mirror and a glass prism. The mirror flips out of the way when you release the shutter.

Does it have to be digital? Your budget might just get you something like a Canon 300D on eBay, but you would be right down at the bottom end of the price range for that kind of equipment. On the other hand, £250 would buy you a very decent film SLR and maybe a couple of lenses, and if you bought one of the Canon Eos range then you could use the lenses later on a Canon digital SLR.

Someone else will probably be able to say whether any of the other non-SLR digitals are better than what you've got, for the price you want to pay.

Thomsk

It does have to be digital Im afraid. I do a lot of Photoshop work, its one of the main aspects of my project, Photography and Digital Photography/Art.

How much am I looking at for a Digital SLR?

Thanks for the help..

Try an eBay search for completed listings, so you can see what price things actually sold for. I've just had a look and was surprised to find that something old(er) like a Canon D30 probably is in your price range, but then it is only 3 megapixels.

Can anyone name any other older dSLRs for Josh to look at?

Thomsk

Unless you've already invested in Canon gear then the Nikon D50 is probably the cheapest Digi SLR you can get new, about £450 quid I think. In the UK you can try http://www.warehouseexpress.com/ or www.cameras2u.com.

These are both cheap, and they seem to come highly reccomended (have used warehouse express, they were good, I haven't ever used Cameras 2u, but they have a lot of positive feedback on pricerunner). But you won't beat the aftersales service of a decent shop, but then that costs more.

I think you'll be pushing it to get a dslr for that price. Don't be tempted to get a bridge camera either, you'll have exactly the same problems.

josh.thomas said:
It does have to be digital Im afraid. I do a lot of Photoshop work, its one of the main aspects of my project, Photography and Digital Photography/Art.

How much am I looking at for a Digital SLR?

Thanks for the help..

Buy a film slr, and have your film scanned.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back