Digital camera power problem

wonders

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Every time just after recharging, my digital camera runs out of power in like 10 sec after I turn it on. It can still operate for I don't know how long, but the battery bar is very low. I know it's not the battery problem, because I bought and put in a new one yesterday. My digital camera is not very old. It's about 1.5 years.

Anyone knows what possible reasons there are that might be causing this problem? How do I solve this? :(

--
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I couldn't find a better place.

You could try cleaning the battery contacts in the camera I suppose.

Are these standard batteries like AAs or Lithium-Ion ones?

Tiberius said:
You could try cleaning the battery contacts in the camera I suppose.

Are these standard batteries like AAs or Lithium-Ion ones?

The battery contacts? Can you talk more about that? It's my first camera and I'm pretty new to this. ;)

My current battery is 'Energizer'.

battery-contact.jpg

The Battery Contacts are the spots where the camera comes in contact with the battery to draw power from it. Over time they can sometimes become corroded black or covered in gunk, at which point cleaning them (I often use a wire brush, but there are various methods and mine may not be the best) can reduce resistance and allow more power to make it to the camera.

Hmm I don't think it's that problem. But I'll try to clean it. Thanks.

Is it possible that somewhere in the camera, electricity is leaking out?

The idea of it "leaking" out is essentially impossible. The idea of a short circuit is also ruled out because it runs for an extended period of time. My guess is that somewhere along the line the sensor that your camera uses to detect battery level is fried. The camera and battery are fine, you just have no way of telling when the battery's low. I'd just always keep a spare on hand.

Tiberius said:
The idea of it "leaking" out is essentially impossible. The idea of a short circuit is also ruled out because it runs for an extended period of time. My guess is that somewhere along the line the sensor that your camera uses to detect battery level is fried. The camera and battery are fine, you just have no way of telling when the battery's low. I'd just always keep a spare on hand.

Do you mean that the battery level display is wrong? So truely my camera still has electricity?

Yep.

The battery level could be full for like 10mins, and the next minute it's at red. I don't know how long it'll operate after it turns red as I rarely turn my camera on if it's low on battery.

I would suggest a new battery / charger. I know I've gotten junky rechargables that sometimes work wonders and other times dont' work at all. I would also recommend sticking with the rechargable batteries supported by the camera manufacturer. I'm sure others work well but in my experience the manufacturer batteries are less hassle.

Ok, I'll test to see if it's the battery level display problem. If not I'll do something about the charger.

Thanks a lot. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back