Digital camera

yvonk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I'll start buy introducing myself a little bit first, well I'm doing some graphic design(http://www.myspace.com/ivaylokli) and I discovered a passion for photography recently. I'm still a beginner in this world but I wanna learn!

Okay so I'm posting out here for some help, about a digital camera that I'm going to buy soon for this summer. The thing is that I don't know which one to buy yet and I really wanna make a good choice on it since it will be my first time doing some serious landscapes pictures.

Here is a list of cameras I've tested, but I don't think any of those will be taken for various reasons.

Canon PowerShot A540
Canon PowerShot SD900
Sony CyberShot DSCN2
Olympus Stylus 770SW

My budget is around $450 USD.
My needs would be: Long battery life, compact size, IS, good quality pictures(mainly for landscapes),

As you've guessed this camera will be mainly for landscape photography, and I'm not going to buy any tripod so thats why I'm looking for an Image Stabilizater on it.

I've came up with a little list out here, and if y'all could tell me what camera would be the best for me out of those it will be awesome! Also, if you wanna add on other cameras to the list- go ahead!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1
Casio Exilim EX-Z850
Sony DSC-P200
Sony DSC-T100
Samsung NV10
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS
Canon PowerShot A640
Canon PowerShot SD1000
Canon PowerShot S80

Well, I'll be waiting on some replies and thanks to y'all for the help.

Welcome to the forum.

I know it's always easy to recommend something more expensive, but I would suggest that you try to increase your budget enough to look at a Digital SLR camera. Something like the Canon Rebel XTi, Nikon D40, Pentax K100D etc.

A digital SLR camera will have a much larger sensor than any of the cameras you listed...as well as many other benefits. Even if you decide to give it up and sell your gear, a DSLR and lenses will be worth much more than any of the cameras you listed.

As you've guessed this camera will be mainly for landscape photography, and I'm not going to buy any tripod so that's why I'm looking for an Image Stabilizer on it.
IS, is a great feature...but it's not a life saver. If you are concerned about image quality at all, a tripod will be your best investment. Landscape photography in particular is where a tripod (or some sort of support) will really make a difference.

Heh funny everyone that I've asked for suggestion told me to get a dSLR! I don't know why I don't wanna get one tho... For me right now the big thing is the size of the cameras.. since I wanted to have something that I could carry in my pocket everywhere... But I'm not a professional photographer, so should I start with the big thing now or? When I think about it... once I'll be back, because I wanna get a cam with me when I go to Bulgaria from like June to October, but yeah so I mean once I'll be back I'll be doing some photo shooting with people around here and why not already get a good camera? ..Damn this camera thing drives me crazy haha. At the same time I don't wanna spend like 700$ on something I won't use a lot once I'll be back, if that happens.

Anyways, do you have any suggestion for a dSLR camera? I've read reviews about the D40, no doubt it's a good camera.. but what y'all suggest me?

im an idiot when it comes to photography... and even on auto settings the xti took better pictures first day out of the box than my photography major friend with his 8mp point and shoot digital. the second day (after staying up reading all night) my pictures improved once again. i have no idea how far i can take my picture taking abilities... but im so glad that i got my dslr... i just wish i had gotten one sooner. i would most DEFINATELY say its worth the money

they say a picture is worth a thousand words... do you want to mumble?

It comes down to your priorities, is it a smaller camera or is it image quality? If you work in graphic design, you should appreciate the benefits of a good quality image file.

Yeah no doubt, I've seen pictures gallery with dSLR and there's a huge difference. But yeah I think you guys convincted me to get a dSLR! Plus when I think about it I won't have to search 20 minutes on the internet for pictures, I'll take them as I want. But my worry on the D40 is the 6.1Mpx... Ain'tthat too small or? I've usually worked with 8-10mpx so I don't really know

Also, I think i read somewhere about the life battery that it ain't too good, the one that comes with the camera. is that true or? like they said you should get a lithium one or something like that.. because i really wanna get a long life battery thats another major aspect

For landscape photography, a tripod will definitely make a difference. There really isn't a replacement... even IS.

I don't know anyone who owns such a wide array of P&S cameras so its going to be a little difficult to pin point just one as the "best choice". If I were in the market for a P&S, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Canon G7 or G6. Only mentioning them as the Canon G series has always been a good line to consider and carries many of the features from their DSLR line.

With that said, I took a quick look at the list above:

Panasonic Lumix - I like the panasonic line but this is a 4.9 mp camera which places it at a great disadv when comparing it to the rest in your list.

Casio, Sony P200, Powershot S80 - All cameras that were released to market quite a while ago. Digital technology and processing is always advancing (quickly the past 2 decades) so its always best to get something more recent with the latest technology.

Sumsung NV10 - No optical IS. Other than that I don't know much about the camera.

Sony DSC-T100 - I'm not too keen on the max aperture of f3.5 and a max shutter of 1/1000. Is it just me but there isn't much optics in that camera.. lens is small?

Canon A640 - From the Canon forums, I think this is a favorite of the Canon P&S crowd. Everything I've seen on this camera is favorable but there is no IS.

Canon SD800 IS - seems to fit the bill. It has IS, 2.8 max aperture, and shoots wider than the others at 28mm. 7.1 mp could be better.. but MP isn't everything...

As Mike said... performance and quality wise, you are better off with a small DSLR.

But my worry on the D40 is the 6.1Mpx... Ain'tthat too small or? I've usually worked with 8-10mpx so I don't really know
There is a difference between an image from a 6MP DSLR and a 6MP digi-cam. You can make very large prints from a 6MP image from a DSLR...so it should be good enough. More is usually better though. Nikon just came out with a D40x, or something like that, with an 8 or 10 MP sensor.

And is the D40 or D40x better than the Rebel XTi? Or do you guys have any other suggestions around 700$?

And also, I think I'll buy the camera around the end May early June... So do you guys think if I wait until then .. some other models that are now more expensive will be cheaper then? Or the technology doesn't grow that fast hehe?

They are all good cameras...don't spin yourself around trying to compare which brands are 'better' than others.

Go into a shop and hold the different models, the one that feels the best to you, is probably a good choice.

Other models to look at are the Sony A-100 (alpha), the Pentax K100D/K110D etc.

okay and can someone explain me about the lense thing? i've seen on e-bays a lot of d40's with other lense in there(better i guess) but is like the highest and lowest it can go is the best or? does that mean the lense that comes with the nikon d40 ain't that good?

Most reactions

Back