Digital Cameras and their Longevity (Question).

boclcown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a Nikon D80 (though the D50, 400D, and k100D are also on my list). I've poured over reviews, and I'm fairly content that any of these cameras will produce the results I want if used correctly. I've seen pictures taken by D80's and 400D's. They are exceptional in terms of detail. My 3 MP point and shoot was usually enough, so these 10 MP will be far beyond my needs.

The question comes, then. If I purchase a D80, and keep it in working order, will it ever become obsolete? I know that there will be better cameras each year, but haven't we passed the threshhold where digitals were worlds below film in resolution and clarity? I think I've read somewhere that film tends to be between 10 and 30 MP's. That may be wrong, but what more can be done to the D80, lets say, to make it completely obsolete. It's Instant start up and the super-fast frame-to-frame speed will probably never ever hold me back, even if I were to become a professional (although I understand sports photography needs blazing speeds). So, couldn't I say that buying a D80 body is a long term investment as long as I don't go beyond being a hobbyist?

As long as you keep it in good working order, you should be able to use the camera body for a long time and be happy if you are happy now. With that said, I will not be in all likelyhood be one of those people. I have made my F2's work for me for years and did not fall into the upgraded body trap with film.

When I switched to digital, it was with the full expectation that I would be buying new bodies every couple of years or so. I have put money into good glass, as it will last a lifetime if cared for. The physical mechanics of the film cameras was far more limited than that of digital. I have watched others go from a 20D to a 30D just for the frames per second and the much larger, and nicer LCD screen on the back. These kinds of improvements are much more likely to occur on a digital body and as the kinds of things I want come along, I will probably upgrade bodies. I think that I am in a love/hate relationship with my digital as I love the quality it produces and hate the fact that my money expenditure will switch from film to bodies.

35mm B$W film is about that of an 8MP camera. The 30MP is that of medium and large format.

The only way that it will become obsolete is if it can't do what you need it to do, and something else does.

I'm still using my 10D. I had already settled into the EOS5 when I was doing film, and the 10D was pretty much a direct replacement, other than the crop factor. Sure, I'd love a 5D, but I don't need it, and I'm not going to spend the money on it (unless I win the lottery or something). To help that along, I've done my best to not look at all the new stuff coming out.

Most reactions

Back