Digital cameras don't need watering!

luckydog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cracked-lenz.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My four year old decided that my camera wanted a drink of water on the weekend, and proceeded to tip a mug of water over it.
The camera seems to have grown a mind of it's own now, as it does the opposite to what i want it to do. Dreading the bill from Olympus for repair and service of the bloody thing!!!

Here are the symptoms:

Turn it on and the zoom goes to full all by itself, and i can't move it back.
Only mode that shows is review mode.
Toggle the zoom switch and the manual/auto focus selection screen pops up.
Won't turn off.
Turn the mode selector dial and the mode doesn't change.
It also reset to original settings (stupid start up noise and shutter sound).

Am i happy or what!

Might just need to dry out. Electronics are pretty durable when submerged as long as you don't power them up while wet and create a short. Before sending it in or giving up and buying a new one, you might want to see what screws you can get out and expose the inards. Hit em' with a hair dryer for a bit and if nothing is shorted you should be good to go. It's quirkiness might be condensation that can't escape.

If you open them, chances are that you will tear the seal sticker, then your warrenty will be totally void.

You can buy some drying agent and put them with the camera in a tight container and see what happens. Sometimes, your software could have already been screwed. Also, the moist in the camera may cause the metal parts to rust, the batteries to leak and so on, so you really need to dry it fast.

Kinda reminds me of whern my boys were young. I saw them out in the driveway shoving gravel in my gas tank. They were playing gas station!

Dont even bother. Water ruins a camera. unless you can send it in without them charging for an estimate you will be wasting time and money.

A lot of TLC and hope has saved my camera, or maybe i was just lucky (no pun). She's working fine for now and hopefully it will stay that way till i can afford a DSLR!
Thank you Olympus for using water tolerant parts :)

First:
Wipe down your entire camera, including contacts, with a VERY VERY minimally damp anti-static cloth that has been dipped into a 50/50 solution of DISTILLED water and WHITE vinegar.

Then:
First thing in the morning go around to a few bulk shoe stores (like Payless) and get your hands on as many Silica Gels Packs as you can find. (Don't steal them ask for them) Then find a Tupperware bin that will fit your Olympus body and place it on a bed of the little silica packs. Leave it in there for 24 hours if possible.

If that doesn't work, you have, at the very least, stopped the corrosive action of the water, and removed any chlorides. Then you can ship it off to Olympus.

EDIT: I just now read that it's fixed. Next time it happens, consider the above, especially if salt water is involved.

Digital cameras don't need watering!

worth remembering :/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back