Digital Composition

karissa

The Untitled
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I did this as one of the first major compositions a few years ago. I would really like to hear more opinions than the one my art teacher had. She and I never got along. Be honest please.
Shadow%20seas%20full.jpg

Okay, I'm not usually a fan of heavily manipulated stuff. When it is used, I prefer subtle. I went through a faze myself were I just had to see how far it would go, so I got a little burnt out on it. That said...

I like this. I like the flow, and even though it's rather busy, but you did a good job on it and I think it works. When I first glanced at it, I thought "Oh, no; not another 'gone-crazy' image." But once I took a moment, it grew on me. I like the shark in particular. The shadow really sells it. A lot of what it has going for it is the color scheme is pretty consistant. The underpass and such are all tinted blue to match the water, and the green eyes fit in with the idea of the sea being blue-green.

It still has some aspects of "I did this because I can", but it's so much better than most.

markc said:
It still has some aspects of "I did this because I can", but it's so much better than most.

Thanks so much. Part of that comment came from the fact that the instructor put a requirement on that we must use 11 pictures which I thought was crazy. I have thought about going back and doing the way I would want to now without the rules in mind. However, it is ever hard to get "her" out of my head. :?

It's a bit dark and over contrasted. The eyes at both the top right and top left I think could have been placed a little better. You can see through them to the background, and it makes them look a bit funny. Other than that, it's a nice, interesting composition. I'm not really a fan of this stuff, but it's good for learning valuable photoshop techniques.

karissa said:
Part of that comment came from the fact that the instructor put a requirement on that we must use 11 pictures which I thought was crazy.

Wow. Then my hat goes off to you. :salute: You were given an assignment and told to go nuts, and you managed to pull it off without it being obnoxous.

Mind if I ask what your instructor said about it?

markc said:
karissa said:
Part of that comment came from the fact that the instructor put a requirement on that we must use 11 pictures which I thought was crazy.

Wow. Then my hat goes off to you. :salute: You were given an assignment and told to go nuts, and you managed to pull it off without it being obnoxous.

Mind if I ask what your instructor said about it?

Lol.... Yeah.. you should have seen some of the other students stuff :irked:

My teacher absolutely hated it... right along with everything else I had ever produced in her class. This was an end of the year project so it wasn't a big surprise to me. She wanted me to take they eyes out completely and put some fish in instead. When I protested about the eyes, she said well then make them really big so you where looking through them and blue. She didn't like the green at all. Needless to say (this being more then 2 years ago now) I felt like this: :irked: :angry1: :pissed: and looked like: :taped sh:

:roll:

I think your teacher is retarded. I've seen plenty of compositing and this is one of the better ones.

voodoocat said:
I think your teacher is retarded. I've seen plenty of compositing and this is one of the better ones.

Yeah... I understand but in her defense (I can't believe I'm about to do this :roll: ) Every person has their opinion. She had her style and thoughts... they just happen to be on mars compared to mine but at the same time, I owe her the fact that I do know Something about photography now and because of that I was able to join this forum with at least something under my belt. I might not have liked it here as much if I was clueless. I really don't know.

Another thought is that she might have been hard on me because she thought I could do better. I just don't know.

Well, there's a difference between teaching a style and teaching a technique. If she couldn't give a good reason for changing those eyes to blue, she was forcing her style on you.

It would be like me telling someone that they need to shoot something at a wide aperture because that's how I like to do it. I'll say that it would be my preference, but to say that it's how it should be done is taking things a little too far. That's what I hated about when I was in school. They taught everything as if there was an absolute right and wrong. The world doesn't work that way.

Okay, that's going to turn into a major rant, so I better use :taped sh: now, too.

though this is a little off topic,

this kinda reminds of my classical guitar instructor at uni. He was just a plain out hardass 'do it my way' kinda of person. There was no nurture at all in his style of teaching, very rigid. I practiced so hard I to try to prove him otherwise, I mean I practised classical guitar for 12 hours some days.. but lo and behold I got tendonitus in both hands and had to drop my music courses and eventually out of music school.

I don't fault this teacher, though I hated his guts at the time. Part of my demise was my own insecurity of not being good enough. He was a very successful teacher, his students constantly were heralded as some of the best classical guitarists in the country. He motivated his students through his bluntness... if you had the tenacity to hang in there and prove him wrong he really respected you and trusted you. Lol, I never quite made the cut! The only fault I see with his style is that it was very cookie cutter, that he would never make exceptions to the rule. This type of style makes it very hard to find a diamond in the rough (i ain't implying i'm a diamond, prolly more like cubic zirconium :p)

But anyways, at least now I can play the guitar AND take ok photos :D :p

=========================================
back on topic
=========================================

while this style of work doesn't appeal to me, what you did here is pretty good. Like Moni said, you have a good imagination and the image does show a lot of continuity which makes it easy for me to digest. :D

If she couldn't give a good reason for changing those eyes to blue, she was forcing her style on you.

... just curious if the artist should have a good reason for keeping the eyes green; or if not, at least an understanding of the effect of each and why they, the artist, would prefer one over the other.

I'll be honest - my first thoughts: I like the shark, the bridge the lightning... but the eyes... well, not really,.... perhaps if they were blue :shock:

(hope you don't hate me.... I swear I'm not your teacher)

Tammy said:
... just curious if the artist should have a good reason for keeping the eyes green; or if not, at least an understanding of the effect of each and why they, the artist, would prefer one over the other.
I think the eyes are the weakest part also. But it's art. The teacher should explain her reasons why, and maybe have karissa do it both ways so that karissa could compare the two, but to say "do it this way" (if that's what she did) doesn't sit well with me. Karissa is the artist, here. I'll admit I'm jumping to conclusions, but that what I gathered was the case.

Oh I agree that the teacher shouldn't tell the artist what to change.... only to suggest changes, or help the artist discover what they can do to improve the piece... I totally respect the fact that the work belongs to the artist and is the artist's to choose to do with as they wish (although in a classroom environment the rules might be a bit different)

I simply think it is good if the artist understands why things work, and why they don't. In this case if the eyes were done in green intentionally to create a certain effect, then after hearing the teachers comments, I'd wonder if the goal was accomplished - and always, when considering comments and how to respond, I think it is always best to consider the source, not everyone makes a good critique.

I think an artist should consider many different ways to improve their art, but only modify their work if they believe the modifications improve it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back