Digital for old SLRs

BlueDeath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I intend to build a digital device that will fit in the back of an older manual camera, but before I begin such a difficult task I need to know if anyone would buy such a device?

Thank you for your time.

You'd think that cameras with removable backs (like my OM gear) would lend themselves fairly easily to such a conversion, but having said that Leica have struggled for ages to get such a back up and running for the R-series SLRs. To answer the question, if I could put a digital back with a 35mm 8+megapixel sensor on such as my OM4Ti, for me that would create the world's greatest digital SLR, and I would buy it for sure.

A company that advertised in the popular mags baout 2 years ago was making a 35mm film can with what looked like a flag on it to pop into your SLR. This device was a digital sensor complete with memory. You put it in the SLR and shoot away. Once you're done, take it out adn plug it into your USB to dump the pix. It was selling for $125 and didn't really sell because the resolution was so low, so it never caught on.

I had some high hopes of this device and had hoped to use in my EOS5 and EOS600 and get the advantage of digital with these cameras

I cant remember the device now - but it went to some shows as a propertype and was only about 1MB -used to be a website with images and I saw it recently - but cant find the link or remember the name :( :(

http://www.side.com/

If I could get a device that would drop into the back of my 35MM - full frame maybe - also provide 8MB as a absolute minimun - probably around the £250 mark
remember you can get 8MB cameras for about £450
and the 300D is around £350-400 now

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=2939&forum_id=72

imageK seems to come to mind

paul rond said:
A company that advertised in the popular mags baout 2 years ago was making a 35mm film can with what looked like a flag on it to pop into your SLR. This device was a digital sensor complete with memory. You put it in the SLR and shoot away. Once you're done, take it out adn plug it into your USB to dump the pix. It was selling for $125 and didn't really sell because the resolution was so low, so it never caught on.

That would be the perfect solution! Digital or film!

You could fill the digital memory & switch to film and you'd still have the choice of film for those really high resolution photos as well!:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back