Digital IR

CSR Studio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.csrstudio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have shot a lot of IR with film but have never shot IR with digital. I just got an IR filter, the black one. What is different? What do I need to know? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Some cameras are better for IR than others... (The filter on the sensor blocks more IR light on some cameras)

I've never shot IR film...but I suspect that it's mostly the same. (Compose/focus with filter off, attach filter, adjust focus using IR index marks...)

Exposure times will probably be longer though (?) due to the filter on the sensor.

My digital IR exposures are usually 10-15 seconds (with a 350D) in bright sunlight, not sure how that compares to film.

Last edited:
Some cameras are better for IR than others... (The filter on the sensor blocks more IR light on some cameras)

I've never shot IR film...but I suspect that it's mostly the same. (Compose/focus with filter off, attach filter, adjust focus using IR index marks...)

Exposure times will probably be longer though (?) due to the filter on the sensor.

My digital IR exposures are usually 10-15 seconds (with a 350D) in bright sunlight, not sure how that compares to film.

Thanks for the help.
It sounds like you need longer shutter speeds with digital but everything else seems the same.

Any other hints or tips?

Nope I don't think you quite understand how bad. For instance my D200 gets a full 11EV hit compared to Efke IR820. So what could be done at 1/100th on Film is now beyond a 10 second exposure!

This should give you an appreciation for quite how strong some of these low pass filters on digital sensors are (though the D200 has one of the worst for IR photography). This in itself also leads to fighting two filters against each other, thus there is a lot of visible light bleeding into the image and ruining your IR effect.

Compare the sky (darkened in post by adding contrast):
3356388162_38c0d19392.jpg

To a film shot (no post processing, different beach, but same daytime and roughly both facing east)
3383998534_c62dd9b525.jpg

If you want a very useful IR effect back then you really need the camera modified.

So it sounds like IR with digital doesn't do a very good job. Does anyone make an IR filter that goes between the body and the lens instead on the lens, which is what I purchased.
I have a D80 and D3X.
I can forsee plenty of visible light intrusion. What is the answer? Do you know Garbz?

One can get great IR with digital.

Like everything else, it takes practice and work.

You can buy a digital camera that has been converted for IR, check out MAXMAX as one source.

One can get great IR with digital.

Like everything else, it takes practice and work.

You can buy a digital camera that has been converted for IR, check out MAXMAX as one source.

Ann,
I appreciate the info. I don't want to convert a camera to IR, I just liked to shoot IR with film so I thought I might try with digital. Just got a wild hair. It is something that I would shoot for myself, which is something I haven't been doing enough of lately. Any way to get a decent IR shot with digital or should I stick with film?

So it sounds like IR with digital doesn't do a very good job. Does anyone make an IR filter that goes between the body and the lens instead on the lens, which is what I purchased.
I have a D80 and D3X.
I can forsee plenty of visible light intrusion. What is the answer? Do you know Garbz?

Doubtful, and it wouldn't change anything anyway.

Just try it. Garbz is pointing out an example of a camera that is not optimal for IR. Every camera is different. I get very good results with a 350D.

Try it out for a while and see what you think.

I have a D80 and D3X.

Doubtful, and it wouldn't change anything anyway.

Just try it. Garbz is pointing out an example of a camera that is not optimal for IR. Every camera is different. I get very good results with a 350D.

Try it out for a while and see what you think.

I am definitely going to try it. I just didn't want to get out there and expect the same results as I get with film. It is helpful to know that there is this issue and try to find a way to overcome it. I always love a challenge. And thanks for the help!

The issue is the filter on top of the sensor.

Some are more efficient than others (blocking more IR). There really is no rule of thumb or anything like that - every model is different.

Yep indeed. It doesn't matter where you put the IR filter, as long as that IR cut filter is on the sensor you're fighting two filters against each other, causing a massive drop in light and a drop in the IR effect.

Modifying the camera to remove the IR cut sensor (and leave it as is or actually replace it with an IR pass sensor) is the only way to achieve the film level of performance you are used to.

Normal film isn't sensitive to IR, digital sensors are, and thus they need this IR cut filter ontop of them.

Yep indeed. It doesn't matter where you put the IR filter, as long as that IR cut filter is on the sensor you're fighting two filters against each other, causing a massive drop in light and a drop in the IR effect.

Modifying the camera to remove the IR cut sensor (and leave it as is or actually replace it with an IR pass sensor) is the only way to achieve the film level of performance you are used to.

Normal film isn't sensitive to IR, digital sensors are, and thus they need this IR cut filter ontop of them.

Ok, now I get it, makes perfect sense when you explain it. Thank you!

I wonder how much the convertion costs these days, and where you get it done. I have an older dslr now that I think I will get converted sometime. I like the idea of doing IR landscapes. :)

there is MAXMAX that will convert for you, or Life Pixel , it will be several hundred dollars at the min to convert, but you will need to check with them for specifics as various cameras may vary.

The procedure done by companies like Lifeview is often quite involving, far more so than simply removing the filter.

The filter is often replaced by glass or an IR filter. In the latter case Lifeview said to me during my enquiries that they also adjust the AF unit to take into account the focus shift of IR through lenses, which is quite a problem if your lens has no IR focus adjustment indicator.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back