Digital or film? plus questions....

What would that be?

maintain the same dynamic range as of now . . . i have a feeling digital is about to catch up

digital doesn't have the same feel of certain films, and while you may can emulate it, you can't get it exact. certain subtleties in tones on film i haven't been able to digitally reproduce. (I haven't, maybe someone else can)

digital noise in long exposures.

. . . just different.

oh, and for some reason i get consistently better results with film . . . i think maybe thats because i reserve it for special occasions though.

and i haven't let film spill over into my jobs :) . . . so its more fun for me!

For me, printing the image myself completes the photographic cycle ... every step of the cycle has my fingerprints.

Gary

I've gone through the full steps of both film & digital and absolutely love digital for all of the positive reasons already stated. Like Seefutlung I like being in control of every step, however printing for me got too expensive and time consuming. I now drop off my files to a local shop that sends it out for printing and I really enjoy their quality.

My dad has been using film for about 40-50 years now and I finally got him to go digital. He now wishes he would have made the jump a long time ago.

maintain the same dynamic range as of now . . . i have a feeling digital is about to catch up

Dynamic range has always been the same with both recording media.

digital doesn't have the same feel of certain films, and while you may can emulate it, you can't get it exact. certain subtleties in tones on film i haven't been able to digitally reproduce. (I haven't, maybe someone else can)

Feel and subtleties are a little too unclear to comment upon.

digital noise in long exposures.

Digital doesn't respond well to underexposure. Film doesn't either but the effect is different. I'll give you that one.

mmmmmmmmm . . . i don't know of any digital cameras with 11 stops of dynamic range. and i can't find the documentation on 11 stops . . . but i'm pretty sure thats what it was, on a negative color film.

and i did find a dynamic range chart on the d200 that maxed out at 8 stops

BUT, dynamic range hasn't always been the same, in fact there are differences in the d100 and d200, fuji's s3 and s5 . . . all with varying dynamic range.

even if i'm missing something where some camera has gotten the same dynamic range as wide latitude negative films . . . digital hasn't always had the same range.

bump will someone jump in and let me know if im right?

everything that I've read will support your claim Mike to film having the ability to capture more zones/dynamic range than digital.

Gary

there someone jumped in

BUT, dynamic range hasn't always been the same, in fact there are differences in the d100 and d200, fuji's s3 and s5 . . . all with varying dynamic range.

even if i'm missing something where some camera has gotten the same dynamic range as wide latitude negative films . . . digital hasn't always had the same range.

dynamic range in the digital world is certainly something which is still improving... very slowly though. And there are differences between different cameras. Fom my experience digital is getting close to some colour slide film, but still quite away from negative film.

Either companies neglected development of sensors with wider dynamic range since they had to put all effort into the silly megapixel battle, since MP is a number which can even be explained to every potential customer, whereas dynamic range is a concept many people only start to understand after they bought the camera ... OR increasing range is much more difficult. Or maybe both...

Actually, wider dynamic range would currently be the only reason for me to upgrade to a new digital camera.

same here . . . i might buy a fuji body . . . or at least rent one and see what its like. they brag on the dynamic range

same here . . . i might buy a fuji body . . . or at least rent one and see what its like. they brag on the dynamic range

I have a wedding photog friend who just tossed his Fuji S5 (?) ... I think it is ... D200 and all his lenses in favor of the 5D.

5D has better IQ in low light and better color overall. The Fuji's are very slow and use up a hell of a lot of memory per shot. And the kicker was that Fuji hasn't any customer support (according to Duke.)

Gary

If he tossed the, let me know where they landed... :)

Most reactions

Back