Digital Rebel XT not recognized

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got my Canon 350D today. I took some picture and now I am trying to transfer the pictures to my computer. I installed the software onto my computer (Windows Vista [ugh]) but when i connect the camera and turn it on, the computer doesn't recognize it and gives an error which says the necessary driver software has not been installed or cannot be found. Has any one encountered a similar problem and can help me out? Thanks...

On a side note: i plan on purchasing a memory card reader tomorrow... would that solve my problem and eliminate the need to use the canon software?

On a side note: i plan on purchasing a memory card reader tomorrow... would that solve my problem and eliminate the need to use the canon software?
Yes, a card reader would eliminate the need for the Canon software. All you would have to do is drag & drop the files off of the card to the folder you want it in, then delete them from the card - or re-format in camera.

Thanks for the help, the images are transfering as we speak!... I still think I will go with the card reader tomorrow though... It doesn't eat at the battery, lets me add photos to any computer, even those without the canon software, and many other advantages

Thanks for the Obvious question Sideburns... I did restart, though i do suspect that is probably a common occurence for people to ignore the Need To Restart Message.... Sideburns, do you try your best to reply to EVERY post on this site, because in my recent viewing of this site, it sure seems like it... you are coming up on 2,000 posts after all

Thanks for the Obvious question Sideburns... I did restart, though i do suspect that is probably a common occurence for people to ignore the Need To Restart Message.... Sideburns, do you try your best to reply to EVERY post on this site, because in my recent viewing of this site, it sure seems like it... you are coming up on 2,000 posts after all

Was the camera in the "off" position and unplugged from the computer during this restart? Once the computer successfully restarted, plug the end of the USB cable into your computer, WHILE THE CAMERA IS TURNED OFF. Once you have successfully plugged the USB cable into the computer, you may now take the other end and plug it into your camera and proceed in turning the camera on. Even if windows doesn't present the "Found New Hardware" pop-up to you, take a gander under the "My Computer" and look for removable storage device, or often times it will be labeled containing the word "Canon."

HTH

I believe the problem was related to the Driver Software (called firmware?) installed on teh System (probably some sort of Vista bug). I was able to get it sorted out using the link provided by Happy Hour

When I hooked up my XT to windows it recognized it just fine....I did NOT install any of the cannon software.

It's probably more to do with the fact that I'm 18, unemployed, and on a month long break between semesters.

Oh, and I like browsing. I just try to help as much as I can. Photography/technology can get confusing for a total noob. While I do not fancy myself a pro photographer...I can offer at least some advice, and understanding...

I just hope I helped

(Not restarting is one of the first things I usually suggest. most of the time it works without...but the odd time, that's usually the problem.)

Glad you got it figured out.

Are you using windows? My problem was not recognizing it, it was a problem with not finding the Driver Software....

Off topic but For anyone pondering the upgrade to Vista... don't do it, go invest in something that works... vista is terible and doesn't recognize what seems to be about everysingle new computer related thing i buy.

Most reactions

Back