Digital Sensors to get nontech technology?

Fiendish Astronaut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Geeky I know, but found this article:

BBC NEWS | Technology | Nanotech could mean sharper snaps

Researchers in Scotland have been given nearly half a million pounds to try to improve digital camera images.

The team, lead by scientists at the University of Glasgow, are developing small nanostructures that would be used on light detecting image sensors.
These new hi-tech chips would be used in camera equipment to produce sharper and more colourful images.

The project is being funded by a £489,234 grant from the Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council.

o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
We'll be using nanotechnology to manipulate particles... to create a new optical effect
end_quote_rb.gif
- Professor David Cumming

The researchers are using a phenomenon called surface plasmon resonance, which is an effect exhibited by certain metals when light waves fall onto their surfaces.

In digital cameras, this is the metal film used on microchip image sensors - known as a CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) - that detect light waves and convert them into digital signals.

When light shines on the metal film, electrons on the surface absorb the energy of the light waves and begin oscillating, or shaking, in groups. The resultant combined waves are called plasmons, and they modify the way light is distributed around the metal. The CMOS then measures the light and assigns it a digital value which is then used to build up the bigger image.

The Scottish scientists hope to find a way of creating patterns or small nanostructures in the metal film on the CMOS. This should increase the sensitivity of the sensor and result in higher quality images.

"We'll be using nanotechnology to manipulate particles, so as to take advantage of the properties of electrons to create a new optical effect," Professor David Cumming of Glasgow University who is leading the research team.

"Digital imaging has come a long way in recent years and this project aims to further improve the ability of digital devices to produce high-quality pictures," he added.

Researchers also want to try and "tune" resonating plasmons into the same frequency as light, which could improve colour discrimination.

The project is expected to last until the middle of 2012.

Last edited:
So we're currently sitting at about iso6400 as the highest usable sensitivity on most cameras.
25 | 50 | 100 | 200 | 400 | 800 | 1600 | 3200 | 6400 | 12,800 | 25,600 | 51,200 | 102,400
------------------------------------------------^

I'll bet you all we'll have usable iso above 100k within five to ten years. Now, I'm not some tech freak, but the prospect of clean ultra high iso just makes me so excited. Certain people need lots of megapixels, most people don't benefit from anything more than 15mp. But everyone, from pro to amateur will benefit from high iso capabilities, no matter what you're shooting or where.

Last edited:
I am very much a tech freak, and the prospect of super high ISO's (50k+) is really exciting. They are doing something similar with flat panel tv's and OLED technology. They have tv's that are 1/4 inch thick now... Super exciting! But I digress... I wonder at what point it becomes "night vision" type technology. I mean, if our eyes can't even see it because it's too dark, but our camera can take wonderful, colorful photos of it, doesn't that seem like it's unusable?

Oh... low light and photography sing nicely to me... gimme more! :D

I can see it now, you'll be holding your D9 in one hand, and your night vision goggles in the other.... :greenpbl:
Oh man, that's hilarious. I would sell half of my organs and all my non-essential limbs to be in the kind of situation where I'd need night-vision goggles to see what my camera sees.

I'm not going to tell you how I know this, but you can get 50k for a kidney, and 90k for a piece of liver...

Oh man, that's hilarious. I would sell half of my organs and all my non-essential limbs to be in the kind of situation where I'd need night-vision goggles to see what my camera sees.

Heheheh lol.... If you sell half of your organs then why would you even care which limbs are non-essential?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back