Digital SLR's with Normal SLR Lenses?

technical.advice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can anyone help me?

Can you use Normal SLR Lenses with Digital SLR's?

Thanks very much.

You can, i know for sure the nikkor lenses fit in the D70.

Because of the difference between 35mm film and the digital receptor in a dslr you get a magnification factor of 1.6x iirc.

For example your 200mm lens will become a 320mm lens.

Cheers,

Bryan

Almost all lenses work just fine with digital. The only time you need to worry is if the lens is super old (like 15-20+ years).

I know nikon lists combatability for their lenses on their website. I'm sure other manufacturers do also.

You can but remember a "normal" lens on a digital camera results in an magnification factor. For example, the lens says 50mm but with a digital it my effectively work as a 70mm. Each digital SLR has a different magnification factor so you'll have to check the manual.

Actually, it more of a "cropping" factor. You don't actually get more magnification...you just 'see' the middle part of what the lens is seeing. The field of view is similar to the same lens on a 35mm SLR with the factor applied.

This only applies to DSLR cameras that have sensors smaller than 35mm film. There are a few full frame DSLR cameras that do not have this cropping factor...but they are quite expensive.

The thing you really need to worry about is the opposite case, ie: using lenses designed for digital SLRs on film cameras. A lot of newer super wide angle lenses 10-17mm wide angles are meant to compensate for that crop factor and give you a wide angle on a digital. The outer edges of the lens are probably not as sharp as you'd like, and when used on a film slr, you see that entire field of view, but when used on a digital slr, that part is cropped out.

Big Mike said:
Actually, it more of a "cropping" factor. You don't actually get more magnification...you just 'see' the middle part of what the lens is seeing. The field of view is similar to the same lens on a 35mm SLR with the factor applied.

This only applies to DSLR cameras that have sensors smaller than 35mm film. There are a few full frame DSLR cameras that do not have this cropping factor...but they are quite expensive.

Arghhh! Blasted Imprecise English language! (or more appropriately - my blast my sleep-deprived brain) :blushing:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back