Digital Viewcamera Backs

Dang, that's not as bad as I thought.... though I don't think it's a 4x5" sensor. I think it's same sensor used in the medium format backs but fitted to a large format camera.

What kind of work are you doing? I think you will find the power needs are too great (heavy batteries or long cords, plus they need a laptop computer) for most field work.

Besides the big expense, and since they aren't in a big demand yet, not many are built, so you are buying something not far from the prototype. Lack of customer service/support was cited by my buddy who has used a 4x5 scanning back copying artwork at a museum.

My Microtek i900 scanner can make a 12800x16000 scan (at it's true optical resolution) from a 4x5 neg or transparency. that's over 40"x50" at 300 dpi. The scanner cost $550, which is a smidge cheaper than $15,000+ :wink: A professional drum scan could easily be 4 times that quality.

You could shoot E6 and send it out, and scan it back home. That's what my buddy who shoots color landscape does. He shoots 4x5 Velvia or Provia, sends it out for developing, high res scans it at his home, and prints them out on his smancy smanshy Epson printer. They look awesome.

Edit: By the way, here is his site...
http://www.edwardcrobisoniii.com/

Maybe not so obvious would be a roll film holder about 400-800 USD
Roll film backs for view cameras at B&H
2428.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back