vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there all,

I am just curious if there are any photographers who do both regular and digital photography:

What advantages do you think that 'regular' photography has over digital?
Do you find that going Digital meets all your quality expectations?

I am just curious, because I am completely digital. I would like to hear from people who work continue to work with both mediums! Hope this doesn't start any religious wars between old school and digital! :D

cheers
Mark

There is a discusion on irc about this very topic. hopefully we can pick it up again....

I encourage live participation if you are in the digital camp....

Check motcons irc post for more info...

(hopefully this thread isnt in responce to the irc action)

I do both. I generally prefer film, because with the cameras I have, I have more control over the process.

Both have advantages & disadvantages. If I hadn't started eons ago with film, I may not have ever shot any. But, knowing that film is better in low light, and there are many older cameras that still work great sways me that way. I have transparencies that date from 1975 that still look great. Will my digital shots survive that well? And, I can always scan a transparency or negative and "go digital" if I want.

On the other hand, digital is immediate. I know as soon as the shot is taken if it's what I wanted. Then again, I take waaaaaaaayyyyyy more useless shots on digital & why not? They cost me nothing. Will my digital cam still work in 20 years? Maybe, but I doubt it.

I'll continue to use both, but I still lean toward film for stuff I really want to preserve for posterity. I might feel differently if I had a DSLR rather than a P&S, but maybe not. Digital is still unbeatable for those things where you have to have an image now. :D

Jim

err...logic jedi's dont yawn at an adversary.... shoulders back, chest out, stomach in and bring it on. (with good intentions of course) :)

Most reactions

Back