Digitizing process with CoolScan 5000

namnit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm beginning a process of digitizing a couple thousand 35mm slides with a Nikon CoolScan 5000. In addition to the CoolScan software, I also have the latest versions of VueScan, Photoshop Elements, and Canon Digital Professional.
The majority of the slides are 30-40 years old, and many have exposure and/or lighting issues that I'd like to correct. Dust and scratches will be an issue as well.
My goal is to digitize with optimal quality, wherever possible. But I have some fundamental questions about how to achieve that. For example, should I approach this by making raw scans at maximum resolution and performing all corrections (exposure, faded colors, scratches) post-scanning? Or should I employ the Nikon digital ICE, GEM, etc. tools as part of the actual scanning process to make corrections? Maybe it's a combination of both techniques? If it's a "judgement call," on what basis do I judge?
I'm sure I have more questions, but I thought I'd start at a fundamental level and then hit details as warranted. Any experience or lessons learned on this would be appreciated!
Tom

I'd suggest scanning at full resolution using the Nikon software with ICE and ROC switched on. I don't like GEM. Try with and without ROC to see which you prefer. You have more control with ROC switched off, but ROC can work wonders on its own.

ICE only works at the time of scanning.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back