Digitizing slides with a camera

Orrin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.orrin.org
I needed some digital images of some of my color slides. Using the scanner on my Canon MP990 takes a long time and, in my case, requires firing up an old Windows computer.
(The MP990 does not talk to my Linux system in the scan mode!)

Since my Canon SX130 will focus down to 1 cm in macro mode, I decided to try taking a photo of a slide. Since I have a tabletop device to hold the camera and a Logan 4x5 light panel, it was only necessary to cut a mask out of cardboard.
82Uyd.jpg

The raw image from the camera...
7lsJS.jpg

After a little work in the Gimp...
rlaLP.jpg

Monochrome negatives can also be scanned as long as your image editor can change it to a positive. Color negative will require a lot of editing due to the orange mask.

What Linux are you using ?

It's not the correct forum to discuss computers, but I am using hardware from 2006. The base system is OpenSuse 11.3 which will not support modern browsers and was developed long before the MP990 (thus no drivers).
For online I use a version of Puppy Linux that loads into memory and leaves the base system alone. It supports the MP990 for printing & document scans but not film scans!

It's not the correct forum to discuss computers, but I am using hardware from 2006. The base system is OpenSuse 11.3 which will not support modern browsers and was developed long before the MP990 (thus no drivers).
For online I use a version of Puppy Linux that loads into memory and leaves the base system alone. It supports the MP990 for printing & document scans but not film scans!
:1247: Did you try something Debian based ? Like Mint ? Canon made debian and rpm packages for MP990. Here:
Canon PIXMA MP990 Driver Download - Canon Europe

:1247: Did you try something Debian based ? Like Mint ? Canon made debian and rpm packages for MP990. Here:
The hardware is too old to support any of those...I've tried!
Since I am in my mid 80's, what I have will probably last!

I needed some digital images of some of my color slides. Using the scanner on my Canon MP990 takes a long time and, in my case, requires firing up an old Windows computer.
(The MP990 does not talk to my Linux system in the scan mode!)

Since my Canon SX130 will focus down to 1 cm in macro mode, I decided to try taking a photo of a slide. Since I have a tabletop device to hold the camera and a Logan 4x5 light panel, it was only necessary to cut a mask out of cardboard.
82Uyd.jpg

The raw image from the camera...
7lsJS.jpg

After a little work in the Gimp...
rlaLP.jpg

Monochrome negatives can also be scanned as long as your image editor can change it to a positive. Color negative will require a lot of editing due to the orange mask.

Quite a credible digitizing result, I think! Sure beats holding the 'chrome up to the light and squinting through a loupe, right?

The hardware is too old to support any of those...I've tried!
Since I am in my mid 80's, what I have will probably last!
OK. :icon_thumbsup:

Most reactions

Back