Dipping my toes in developing.

Changing bad won't be a problem. I am too busy to develop during the day anyway and light isn't an issue at night. I'm pretty confident I can thread the reel without fogging.

Helen thanks for that. I think I'll start with Kodak D-76 I can get that for $8 and see if my darkroom leads anywhere and work from there.

I was under the impression that developers were film specific but it looks like they are only process specific (correct?).

Anyway with regards to fixing agents it looks like the local photo store stocks all the various kodak developers, hypo cleaning agents, drying aids, but none of the fixers. I'll probably be buying an Ilford Hypam fixer at this point, unless someone can suggest a good reason not to.

Thankyou all for the help so far :)

I was under the impression that developers were film specific but it looks like they are only process specific (correct?).
This chart will give you general recommended times and temperatures for so many film/developer combinations, it will keep you busy for the next 20 years. :lol: Use the drop-down windows on the left side column.

You'll have it bookmarked in no time for fast & easy recommendations to help you get started. Experience will be your best teacher, but should you end up with something at home you think is an "odd" combination, this is an excellent guide.

I presume you know you'll need spool(s) with the tank.

I always used a squeegee dipped in Photo Flo solution when hanging film to dry.

I don't think anyone mentioned an archival wash (hypo clearing agent)... not only to reduce wash time, but to extend the life of my negatives.

Have fun!

-Pete

I presume you know you'll need spool(s) with the tank.

Yep I did get that far :p

If I start doing this seriously I may look into the Hypo cleaning agents, but for now I will use water as my stop bath, and water to clean off the fixer.

Terri: Wow thanks!

Hypam is fine.

If you are using rapid fix (ammonium thiosulphate based) there's no real need for hypo clearing agents with film, even if you are selenium toning it for ultimate possible archival life (acetate-based film cannot be given the highest archival rating of 500 years no matter how it is processed). Water is fine. There are two classes: hypo clearing agents and hypo eliminators. The naming can be confused. Agents that totally eliminate the fixer are not generally recommended for archival use. Agents that help the hypo to wash out (clearing agents, wash aids) are OK, but are not necessary if correct washing procedures are used. It is much more important to make sure that your fixer isn't near exhaustion - 'exhausted' fixer leaves complex compounds in the film that are hard to wash out. If you use a two-bath fixer you can extend the life of your fixer and ensure easy fixer removal. That is a technique that has been practiced for that reason since the end of the 19th century.

Modern (ie at least fifty year-old) fill-and-dump washing is very efficient and uses little water.

You can use C-41 developer for B&W film - in fact the films that have a high contrast naturally, like Tech Pan, do very well in C-41 developer.

C-41 and E-6 are much more specific than B&W processes. If you use different developers you will get non-standard results. This may or may not be what you want.

You can use C-41 fixer for B&W as long as it isn't a bleach-fix. C-41 fix is usually neutral, and this is a good thing in many ways. Alkaline and neutral fixers wash out more easily than acid fixers, but it's no big deal for film. Neutral fixers have the least smell, in general.

Water is fine as a stop bath most of the time. The important thing is consistency in method and timing. If you refine your developing times and method to get the results you want you will allow for any slight development that may continue in the water wash.

If you do a final rinse in distilled water, you may find that you do not need a wetting agent. I don't use wetting agent - I just rinse in distilled water (which gets re-used a few times) then shake the water off the reel as hard as I can before drying the film. I do not get drying marks.

Good luck,
Helen

Loading film onto the developing reel must be done in complete darkness. This is the proper way to load film. First you need to separate the film from its spool. 35mm film is in a canister. Take a common can opener and gently pry the flat end of the canister off and pull the film free. Unroll it in your hand being careful not to touch the flat surface of the emulsion more than absolutely necessary until you reach the inside edge of the film. With your scissors, cut the film from the spool squarely. With 120-roll film, unroll the paper backing until you feel the edge of the film with you fingertips. Then while unrolling the film you will need to separate the film from the paper backing, keeping the film in your hand, again careful not to excessively handle the flat faces of the film itself. When the film is completely unraveled you will find it is held to the backing with a piece of tape. First remove the tape from the paper backing and discard it. Then remove the tape from the film ever so gently as not to bend the film.
Next hold the film between your thumb and index finger in one hand and take the developing reel in the other. Feed the edge of the film into the clip located in the center of the reel. Once secure and centered, start rolling the reel away from the film while applying slight pressure between the thumb and finger so as to bow the film slightly allowing for ease of loading. Be sure to check for slack in the loaded film every half of a turn or so. If you can slide the film in and out about a quarter of an inch freely then it is loading properly and you may continue. If the film won’t budge and is tight then it has likely skipped a track in the spool and you need to unroll the film back to the point where it is loaded improperly and correct the problem. You may then continue. When you get to the end of the film make certain that the film edge is centered so that it does not rest against the inner loop. This will not create bad negatives on the inner loop but will prevent some of the silver from being washed away during fixing and require additional time for this phase and a re-rinsing of the film. Then you must gently place the reel into the tank and seal the lid. At this point you may now turn the lights on and leave them on for the duration of the procedure.
Now it is time to prepare the chemicals. Follow your manufacturer’s recommendations for mixing processing chemicals and remember to do so in a well-ventilated area and to use protective wear at all times. Ideally you might employ protective goggles, a rubber apron, rubber gloves and shoes with slip free soles. If working with stock solutions you will now be mixing 16 ounces worth of each chemical for use in your 16-ounce developing tank. If you are using working solutions then all you need do is mix them solutions by inverting the containers a couple of times and then measuring out 16 ounces of each for your use. Most chemicals may be reused and will either change consistency or color to indicate that their usefulness has expired. Again, refer to your manufacturer’s literature as to such indicators. Once your chemicals are ready and the film is loaded it is time to get your gear ready for the actual processing.
Line your chemicals up in order of use. I always find it useful to have a list of chemicals in order of use and the duration handy in a largely printed list for easy reference. Get out your timer and set it to zero. Get your water running and give it a couple of minutes to be sure that the temperature is steady at the normal processing temperature of 68 degrees. I find that the best thing to do is to fill the tank with your liquid, place the cap on the tank and THEN start the timer. For this example we will use my personal processing of Kodak TMax TMX-120 roll film that employs Kodak HC110 developer mixed to a working solution of ‘Dilution B’, Kodak Indicator Stop Bath, Kodafix fixing agent and Kodak Photo-Flo drying agent.
The first stage I use is optional. I use a water presoak to bring the film and tank and reel(s) closer to processing temperature. Other photographers think that a water presoak can prevent developer from getting into the film as quickly as it should, however I have never had a problem with under developed negatives as a result of using the water presoak. I fill the tank (holding it close to the edge of the basin and at a slight angle so that if an air bubble forms in the fill hole I can readily rap it against the edge of the basin to dislodge it), place the cap and then start the timer. I agitate throughout the presoaking stage and leave the water in the tank for one minute. Agitating is the act of inverting and then reverting the tank to get fresh liquid across the entire surface of the film. Except during continuous agitation, two or three sharp raps of the tank on your counter or working surface should be done to dislodge any air bubbles that might be adhering to the surface of the film due to the agitation.
When the timer gets to one minute turn it off, take off the cap and pour out the water. It might appear to be grayish at this point but that is OK. It is the water having been stained by the film.
Now empty the bottle containing the developer into the tank. Replace the cap and restart the timer. For developing TMax in HC110 Dil.-‘B’ the required developing time is six minutes. For the first thirty seconds constant agitation is required (roughly ten gentle agitations). When agitation is complete rap the tank twice and set it down. For the remainder of the developing stage agitate the tank twice after every thirty seconds. Agitate one last time just before reaching the end of the time allotted for the development stage. When the developing stage is complete turn the timer off, take off the cap and drain the developer from the tank.
Now take the bottle holding the stop bath and empty it into the tank, replace the cap and start the timer. Most black and white negative film processes call for a stop bath phase in duration of thirty seconds only. So agitate the tank once, rap it and set it down. After the thirty seconds stop the timer, remove the cap and drain the stop bath from the tank.
Now take the bottle containing the fixing agent and empty it into the tank. Replace the cap and start the timer. Fixing is required for roughly twice the amount of time it takes the film to clear, meaning for all colored material to be rinsed from the film. After two and a half minutes you can remove the cap and inspect the film to see if it is clear, if so then double your time for the fixing stage. If there is still some blue residue on the film then more fixing is required to remove it. I have found that in my process that the film is clear between two and a half minutes and three minutes so I fix for five and a half minutes. Excessive fixing can bleach the film but if you keep the times relatively short then you should have nothing to worry about. Agitate occasionally during the fixing phase, perhaps once every twenty to thirty seconds or so. When the fixing stage is done the turn off the timer, remove the cap and pour out the fixer.
Now we need to rinse the chemical residue from the film in water. I use the 5-10-20 method and the best way to describe it. Fill the tank with 68 degree water. Replace the lid. Agitate the tank five times and drain the water. Refill and agitate the tank 10 times. Drain, refill and agitate the tank twenty times. Drain the tank.
You’re done. No further stages are required. I, however, use Photo-Flo to speed up the drying time. You could also use a drop or two of regular dishwashing soap. Take the whole cap off, fill the tank slowly pouring a few drops of the drying agent into it. It will sud up. Put the cap on, start the timer and agitate it continuously for one minute. Then rinse the solution from the film.
Now remove the film from the reel and hang it from the clip on your string or wire and place another clip on the bottom of the film to prevent it from curling up or swinging into another object or hanging roll of film. Do not forget to THOROUGHLY rinse your workstation and equipment to remove all chemicals and allow anything that is wet ample space and time to dry. With moving air my film is ready to be cut and stored within an hour.
So as not to put your film to undue risk of being ruined I would like to advocate a practice run or two through your processing sequence. My first roll had one loop of film touching another and thus prevented a small amount of the film from being processed. As simple and straightforward as this process is there is absolutely no reason why a photographer who has practiced and is sure of their procedure should achieve results other than perfection. No reason whatever.

Well, that's good and comprehensive. Some minor comments, and D-76/Hypam specific variations:

"First you need to separate the film from its spool. 35mm film is in a canister. Take a common can opener and gently pry the flat end of the canister off and pull the film free."

You can also load the film onto the reel directly from the cassette.

"Feed the edge of the film into the clip located in the center of the reel."

This does not apply to most plastic reels. They are loaded from the outside in rather than the inside out.

"Most chemicals may be reused and will either change consistency or color to indicate that their usefulness has expired."

I'm not sure about that. You can't tell how exhausted developer or fixer is by its colour or consistency. If you re-use developer you should just follow the manufacturer's guidelines for increasing development times or replenishing. Overall, I'd recommend using dilute developer when starting out, unless you are using a two-bath such as Diafine. D-76, which Garbz has chosen can be used once and discarded when diluted 1+1.

Fixer exhaustion can be calculated from the manufacturer's recommended capacity or by measuring the clearing time of dry film. When the clearing time has doubled, discard it. This test is marginally acceptable for archival purposes when a single bath fixer is used, but is OK when two bath fixer is used.

"Fixing is required for roughly twice the amount of time it takes the film to clear,..."

You can get a good estimate of clearing time by dipping the leader of 35 mm film into the fixer, in the light. For a rapid fixer like Hypam the clearing time should be well under a minute when fresh. Some films, like TMax, have more silver iodide than others, and silver iodide is hard to fix out, so for TMax you can triple the clearing time. I never fix for less than 2 minutes in total. Excessive fixing is rarely a problem.

Best,
Helen

If I start doing this seriously I may look into the Hypo cleaning agents, but for now I will use water as my stop bath, and water to clean off the fixer.
Acetic acid is dirt cheap, it's a short step, you can use it more than once, and it stops development on a dime.

I'm starting with Holga film anyway so initially minor development issues won't be a problem ;-)

I plan to start this on Tuesday. Thank you all especially Helen and Chris for your help. I'll re-read this entire thread and make up a shopping list tomorrow night :D

Ok I bought Kodak D-76 powder. Illford Rapid Fixer (only one they had in stock), and an AP Classic tank with adjustable spool to take both 2x35 or 1x120 or other combinations of film I will never use.

Practised winding the reel already. Now I just got to fire off 12 frames on the holga and I look forward to posting my results on the weekend.

Thanks again!

As a newbie on these forums I'm still, "checkin' things out". Slipping into the red light of the darkroom and reading these threads has got my heart racing. My darkroom has been in storage for too many years. Unfortunately, I now live in an area where darkroom supplies are not readily available (NO...it's NOT jail!) and as a result I've switched to digital.

HOWEVER, reading these threads I can smell the chemicals! (In my best Austin Powers) "Ohhh yeah, baybee!"

Changing bad won't be a problem. I am too busy to develop during the day anyway and light isn't an issue at night. I'm pretty confident I can thread the reel without fogging.

You know that it has to be done in total darkness, right?

No, but I'm sure we will know the answer soon enough. :lol:

Most reactions

Back