Directing a Bride&Groom at a Wedding

HeldInTheMoment

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me clarify and go a little more in depth from just what the title says...of course they need a little direction.

I have shot several weddings over my time, and only continue to book more and more; though, the question I seem to frequently ask myself is "should I stop and direct the Bride&Groom more often?" What I mean by this is, should I stop parts of the wedding (not the ceremony) to get a great shot? For example, during the cake cutting should I have them stop so I can get a great shot with their hands and the rings before they cut the cake, should I stop a Bride as she is putting on ear-rings for a preparation photo, etc etc.

Of course during the Bride&Groom formal shots I direct them much more, but during events or other parts of their wedding...?

Thoughts on this...

When do you become a major distraction to everyone at the wedding? That's when you stop

Could be kind of fun though...

Should any one here have just cause why these two should not be lawfully wed, let them speak now or forever hold their peace...

Ok, everybody stop! You, in the front row, jump up so I can get a picture!

Lol

My first thoughts are, how long does it take to get a photo of their hands? Why aren't you already in position?

You should have NO problem grabbing any shots if you plan for them.

Obviously you'll have spur of the moment shots that hopefully you get lucky and catch.

But cutting the cake? Come on, that should be the most pre planned thing, they can't go anywhere haha.

So to sum it up, NO. You should never stop the process of the day. Put yourself in the position to capture those moments as they happen. You can't replicate a real moment with real feelings.

Just my opinion.

A large part of this boils down to the client's priorities, and drafting your plan at the pre-wedding consult. What do they want? Do they want you to stop the action when you see a great shot, do they want specific shots, do they want you to be a shadow and get what you can? These are critical questions that you need to ask well in advance. My experience with weddings, while limited is that most couples expect you to get good shots with an absolute minimum of interruption.

Attend the rehearsal and give your advice and direction then.

A wedding photographer has to be like a sports photographer. Familiar with what is going to happen and be prepared to capture the moment. Go to the rehearsal so you know what will happen at the ceremony. Discuss with the bride and groom or the wedding planner how the reception is scheduled etc. You don't want to be putting in new batteries when dad and daughter are dancing the first dance. There inevitably will be tears at the start of the dance.

When your beautiful images no longer reflect what happened during the day.

I would say if your directing them on the honeymoon that could be a problem

Most reactions

Back