Dirt (I think?) in Viewfinder?

Mach2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a feeling this is probably very much a beginner's question. But I'm a beginner, so I'm gonna ask it.

I recently got my hands on a Pentax K1000, and just picked up film for it today. However, before I take any pictures with it , there's one thing I'm slightly worried about. When I look through the viewfinder, there are a lot of little black flecks. I'm assuming dirt? Not near enough to prevent me from seeing what I'm photographing, but more than enough to be distracting and mildly annoying.

I can handle distracting and annoying, so long as it isn't going to be affecting the pictures. Is the dirt only in the viewfinder, or is it somehow going to cast a shadow on the film when I take a picture? Will there be a bunch of little black specs when I get the film developed? If so, is there any way to get rid of the dirt?

Your K1000 has a solid glass pentaprism viewfinder.
The dust is likely on the focusing screen which is in the top of the mirror box.
The mirror box is in the camera right behind the lens mount. The mirror reflects light from the lens up through the focusing screen and into the pentaprism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSLR_camera#mediaviewer/File:SLR_cross_section.svg

The photographer can see the motive before taking an image by the mirror. When taking an image the mirror will swing up and light will go to the sensor instead.
  1. Camera lens
  2. Reflex mirror
  3. Focal-plane shutter
  4. Image sensor
  5. Matte focusing screen
  6. Condenser lens
  7. Pentaprism/pentamirror
  8. Viewfinder eyepiece
Use a hand blower or a natural bristle brush to blow/brush dust off the focusing screen.

Generally, if you can see it in the viewfinder, it will NOT show in the photos (it would have to be on the lens for this to not be true). It is most likely on the focusing screen, as KmH mentioned.

If you're seeing dust/dirt in your prints, it was most likely on the film, either during exposure, processing, or printing/scanning. (Most likely processing or scanning/printing.)

Use a hand blower or a natural bristle brush to blow/brush dust off the focusing screen.

And onto the mirror... That's OK if the debris is dry but if it's sticky, you run the risk of smearing it all over the focus screen and mirror.

Though annoying, it's often part of old camera ownership. Gick on the focus screen and/or mirror won't, happily, have any effect on your photos. When the shutter's depressed, the mirror swings up against the focus screen, blocking all light except for what shoots straight through the lens to the film after the shutter opens. No shadows or specks, promise.

Thank you all for the feedback!

I'll try blowing/brushing it off, but if that doesn't work, I'm perfectly okay to tolerate the dirt speckles. XD

I have cameras with this, I just look thru or around the specks! lol Seriously I think I have enough vintage cameras that I really don't notice it anymore (or maybe it would have to be really bad for it to bother me to look thru the viewfinder).

I thought it was supposed to be better to not touch the Fresnel screen, that it could scratch very easily. I have cleaned a mirror but usually start with a soft brush and use it gently or I've used a rocket blower. At most for a mirror I've used on a microfiber cloth a drop or spritz of cleaner made for cleaning lenses. I don't think I'd do anything to the screen but maybe try the blower gently. Mine seem to be in the viewfinder and with old cameras I don't do any more than necessary.

Dust in the finder? Happens to all of us eventually. If you can't get it out, just ignore it; you'll get used to it and it won't bother you after a bit.

Thank you all for the feedback!

I'll try blowing/brushing it off, but if that doesn't work, I'm perfectly okay to tolerate the dirt speckles. XD

Get used to it!!! Oftentimes, dirt works its way in from the eyepiece area, and onto the top side of the focusing screen. I've owned many older cameras with non-interchangeable focusing screens, and the older the camera, the more likely it will have flecks inside the viewfinder system. It is annoying at first, but one can and will adapt.

Yeah, I think it's there to stay.

Not worried about it now, though. I've only taken a few pictures and I'm already used to it. It adds character. XD

So say we all.

It might even be something inside the prism. I just had mine cleaned and the dark specks I was seeing turned out to be in the glass of the prism itself. There's nothing to be done (except have the prism replaced) but as mentioned, it will not affect your pictures. Well, unless of course, you get so distracted by the spots that you forget to focus or something ;)

Most reactions

Back