Dirty lens?

Patm1313

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found an old Promaster Spectrum 7 75-200mm film lens. it is somewhat dirty and has a brown tint when looking through it on the camera. Is there any way for me to clean this lens and make it usable?

Well...dumb question but....have you gone threw and done standard lens cleaning on it?

if so and If it is the f/3.8 manual lens I think it is, you might have to take it appart and clean it element by element and that could be difficult. I did this with my Gemini 80-200, getting them lined up properly is a pain but doable.

Just get a good set of spanner wrenches and go from the front. If you have to go from the back be careful not to lose the click ball and spring for the aperture. It will work fine if you do not reinstall it but some people like the click. It means it's workin'.

Just get a good set of spanner wrenches and go from the front. If you have to go from the back be careful not to lose the click ball and spring for the aperture. It will work fine if you do not reinstall it but some people like the click. It means it's workin'.

I have that issue with my Sakar 135 prime, an issue does arise with bumping the aperture out of place with the greatest of ease, it does work just fine, just a little random if you are not paying attention to it.

If left in high heat such as a closed car in Summer or in direct sun, the helicoil grease can cook off and coat everything with a layer of brown, decades-old grunge. I would get a technician familiar with that lens to clean it, short of acquiring a factory manual.

These lenses (and similar ones) sell on eBay for $15-$20

I would just buy another in good condition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back