Disadvantages of advanced P&S over DSLR.

i was in this situation thinking

'i dont need to switch lenses thats not going to benefit me, and im not a pro so i wont need a hot shoe flash'

went and bought an advanced point a shoot, 2 months later, im looking for a dSLR !

'i dont need to switch lenses thats not going to benefit me, and im not a pro so i wont need a hot shoe flash'

went and bought an advanced point a shoot, 2 months later, im looking for a dSLR !

lol..... it is a sickening disease....

Yes, once you learn more, know more and find that you are limited by the current setup. You will want a DSLR.

But once you step into the SLR scene. You will find that it is just another beginning.

Beginning of more control on the photos.
Beginning of enjoy more on the photo taking.
Beginning of more reading and learning.
Beginning of thinner wallet.
Beginning of .....

I am not going to be extremely serious about this. I am taking a class this summer, therefore I will not have time for a job. Maybe next summer.

I am not ready to pour thousands of dollars into a hobby. Later on, I may upgrade the lenses, however I have to be completely serious that this is what I really like to do before I spend serious cash on it. I have to get my feet wet. If I feel I need to upgrade, then I will, however I am looking for something good that will start me off, something that I can gradually upgrade as I get more money.

I understand that Photography is not a cheap hobby, but again, I want to get started, and not until I really like it (and I get a job) will a start pouring money into higher end equipment.

In your first post you mentioned that you'd be willing to put up $50 or $60 towards the camera. A cheap TTL flash is $200. The cheapest decent lens for Canon is the 50 f/1.8, It's $80. From there, you can get a 70-300 for about $150, but it's crap. Most of the stuff around $300 is mediocre, with a few exceptions.

It's not about buying the best equipment, but if you're not willing to spend the money on any of the decent lower end stuff, you'll end up with some pretty poor gear.

Just warning you. And if you do get a DSLR and have a chance to use a Pro lens...don't. It's safer that way.

From where I see it, the main disadvandage of a high-zoom P&S is the sensor size. Any P&S camera (aside from the Sigma DP-1) has a very small sensor size compared to even the Olympus crop sensors (that are smaller than Nikon & Canon crop sensors). This leads to many other problems, such as much more image noise, both from long exposures and high ISO values, less detail in photos, lack of sharpness, etc etc.

There are other problems with P&Ss too, like shutter lag (my old P&S had a 1-second lag!), a VERY bad lens (compared to a DSLR's lens, at least), and other issues.

However, before you jump into photography, be aware that it isn't a one-off payment of X pounds/dollars and you're set. Oh, no. There's a camera bag, a memory card, maybe a tripod, probably another lens or two, and that's just what most people on TPF count as the "essentials"! :) My dad made that mistake and ended up giving me another 50-odd quid's worth of stuff :D.

Just be aware, there is SO much stuff you can buy you can sometimes feel like your stuff is inadequate, but there's nothing that will improve your photographs more than your skill.

maybe a tripod

its not a maybe its a must! Especially if you are not using the top of the range lenses with image stabalization and if they are zooming (the 200mm and 300mms) otherwise way too many shots will be blurry - a tripod (cheap one) will help soo much with getting sharper results

:lmao: i thought you were referring to a photography class...
I wish it was, lol. Taking photography is much more fun than running around in the hot sun!

I may have miscommunicated what I want in a DSLR. I want something to start me off. When i make my first payment to a DSLR, it will most likely not be adequate, like Village Idiot said. But, I know very little about photography. I want some beginner equipment to play around with before I get then hang of it. Then, I will see how I like the stuff I have. If I don't, and I find it inadequate, then I will upgrade. However, I want something to start me off. I don't really want to be spending hundreds of dollars on lenses and flashes, especially if I will be doing mostly landscape photography.

well.. if an advanced p&s seems to be where you're headed, i suggest looking into the models that have a higher optical zoom... 12x or 18x...

i find that without an adequate zoom, the mountains in the distance just aren't as grand in the picture as they are to my naked eye.

possibly consider something with IS... as you probably won't be buying a tripod.

take into consideration the type of battery the camera uses... AA is great since you can find them anywhere... the Li-ion ones are nice too, so long as you have a second one handy and an electrical outlet to recharge the dead battery.

memory cards are important too... if you choose something like a Sony or Olympus... they're memory cards can't be used for any other brand (correct me people, if i'm wrong) should you decide to enter the dslr world.

people have mentioned many times that parts and components for compact cameras are pretty generic, i'm not sure about advanced p&s ones. if they are, then really, it boils down to how the camera feels in your hands, and what kind of features you prefer.

I believe sony and olympus now use CF cards, which are ok, even though they are more than SD cards. I would not, however, want to spend tons of money on a memory sticks and xds.

My advice FWIW? If you seriously want to understand and learn the fundamentals of photography I strongly recommend you get yourself a fully manual, 35mm film SLR and one 50mm prime lens. These older optics routinely outperform modern lenses in resolution and sharpness.
You'll get amazing image quality and a far better built and more robust camera than a basic DSLR.
Suggestions; Nikon FM2N+Nikkor 50 f1.8
Olympus OM1N+Zuiko 50 f1.8
These are pro quality cameras and lenses you can pick up for bargain prices.

s

Film cameras are out of the question. First of all, I have nowhere to develop the film. Second, hiring someone to develop the film, and buying the film in the first place, is way too expensive. I also don't want to be carrying tons of film around with me. I want to be shooting like crazy, without worry for cost of film, and delete what I don't want and keep what I want. Then, if I really want a pic, I would print it with glossy paper.

Even though film cameras may be awesome for bargain prices, I really want to go digital.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back