Disbanding a Homeowner's Assn? (rant w/ question)

reg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, basically I live in small town Alabama, in a subdivision. It sucks, I know. Thank you.

Point being, we have the Homeowner's Association, which just happens to be run by my next door neighbor (and to a lesser degree his wife, who seems to enjoy spreading vicious rumours about everybody, so nobody listens to her). He's a fat old bastard who has nothing better to do than harass any black people that move in near him (live in the front of the neighborhood which has about 10 houses that are constantly for rent and someone new is always in it) over this and that and the other.

Another thing is that we don't NEED it. It's $250 a year, and we don't have tennis courts or any crap like that. In fact, I have no idea what it goes toward at all. Maybe the food at the meetings for Mr. President.

So there are no assets, no community property etc. that needs to be taken care of. Unless you count a couple medians, but if we disband this piece of chit I will personally mow them. Generally, everybody who isn't on the board hates the few who ARE on the board.

Anybody know offhand what it would take to do this?

I would buy like a hundred mini balloons (for parties) and some see-through envelopes, enclose one balloon per envelope with a visible note: "Thank you Mr.____ for your interest in trying our condoms. We have enclosed a trial condom in your indicated size. Have fun!"

And then mail it coming from a fictitious condom factory.

A homeowner's association usually comes part-in-parcel with a set of codes, covenants, and restrictions (CC&Rs) which act as tertiary zoning regulations that aren't enforceable by the city. Sometimes these require that new development go before the HA, or that the HA can actively work to enforce CC&Rs. Being a member of the HA is tied to your title of the property--it's a contract that the subdivisor had everybody sign when the homes were first sold. Long story short, aside from blatantly ignoring the HA or the CC&Rs, I'm guessing you're stuck. Then again, I'm no lawyer. But I play one on TV.

Contact a lawyer. If there is no public land, and there is a 2/3 opposition to it, I would think that you would be able to get out of it. Don't feel so bad about the $250 a year, it's $250 a month where I live. We do however have a clubhouse,pool and lots of common outdoor property.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back