discounts/mates rate?? do you do either?

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, in the process of developing my business plan. Nothing huge, just wanting to make a couple of dollars doing portraits for friends/family to begin with. Writing up a price list at the moment and wondering if it is acceptable/common to offer 'mates-rates' ?? Do you, and if so, how?? I was thinking of perhaps wavering my sitting fee for friends/family??

Also if a client orders say 60 5x7"prints, do you offer a discounted rate.. maybe an individual 5x7" print would cost $12.50, then if they order 20-50 would you drop the cost to $10? and for 50+ orders would you maybe sell them for $5.oo each? Not sure how you guys tackle this :confused: but keen to hear your stories! Thanks, jemma

Philip Weir

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
Website
www.philipweirphotography.com
Hi "Jemmy" I appreciate the problems of starting up, except I started in Advertising, which is completely different to what you are doing.
I would just write up a standard price, and if dealing with a friend, just mention you will give him/her % off the job. As far as multiple prints are concerned, yes it is good business to give a discount for a bulk order. I assume when you are talking about a bulk order of say 60 5x7 prints, do you mean 60 off the same negative or off various negatives ?? If someone ordered 60 of the same negative, I would reduce the price by about 30%, but of different negatives, say about 10-15%. I saw you post about printing your prints, I will attempt to answer that when i get a few minutes. Philip.

ksmattfish

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still
Reaction score
Website
www.henrypeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When shooting portraits or weddings for friends and family I either charge them 100% or my cost (their choice). If they pay 100% we sign a contract, and they get all the service and materials as any paying client gets. If they pay cost, they get what I say they get. In between it just gets confusing, and it's not worth messing with relationships.

AprilRamone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.apriloharephotography.com
Photos OK to edit
I defintely offer a discount for someone ordering a bunch of the same picture. For example I charge $6.50 for a 5x7" I don't offer a discount until they order more than 5, then it's $4.00 per 5x7" up to 20 of them. If they order more than 21, I charge $3.00 each.
I purposely keep my reprint prices low because I prefer to charge them a higher sitting/session fee since that actually pays for my time and talent. Then if they want to order prints from me, it's like a bonus. If they choose not to order reprints because of budget constraints, then I'm still well compensated for all of the work of getting nice proofs to them.
Who knows, maybe when I am more well known and have been in business for longer I may charge more for the prints.

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
Yeah... the family thing can get to be tough. My wife comes from a HUGE family. And then there the countless nieces and nehpews who have "best friends" that want a "deal."

In my day-to-day life, I have aquantances, friends, and friends that I consider to have "best friend" status. The last of these groups of course is rather small. For these, and for family, I will work for free... happily. But they do pay all costs.

When it comes to close friends and friends of family, I will take off 20%.

As for my best repeat customers, I will give the same 20% on their 3rd of 4th order. Commercial clients get a gift at year's end... usually a food basket of some kind... something that can be shared around the office.

As for quantity printing, I'll discount the same as my lab. If I get a discount, I'll pass it on.

Pete

Alison

Swiss Army Friend
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
fatephoto.com
Photos OK to edit
When I first started out I did photos for family and friends at cost. Once I had a portfolio done I would offer a 10% discount to close friends and family was done at cost - or for free for my Mom and Dad ;) . I also did my first few weddings at a discount as well, and made sure the couple knew that I was new at wedding photography. I've also donated services to charity auctions and given gift certificates for special people (like to the teachers at my children's daycare center). I thought photography would be more personal than a gift card to a local store.

As for the discounted rates for bulk buying, I do the same as Pete, if the printer gives me a discount I pass it along. I typically don't get bulk orders like that though, they'll order two or three copies of a variety of poses in different sizes.

OP
jemmy

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses everyone, keep them coming!! I should have explained, my client picked out her favourites then wanted 2 x copies of each of these 30... I will definitely discount just not sure how much??

April... wow~ your prices are CHEAP!!! I thought mine were cheap compared to others i have investigated but now i think not!! So that means in Australia your 5 x7" would sell for just $ 8.45??- or do you mean $6.50Aus??- sorry, conversions just aint my thing!! How much do you actually pay to have one printed?? Can i just ask what you do charge for your sitting fee?? as well as how long the shoots go for??
Thanks again
jemma

AprilRamone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.apriloharephotography.com
Photos OK to edit
jemmy said:
Thanks for your responses everyone, keep them coming!! I should have explained, my client picked out her favourites then wanted 2 x copies of each of these 30... I will definitely discount just not sure how much??

April... wow~ your prices are CHEAP!!! I thought mine were cheap compared to others i have investigated but now i think not!! So that means in Australia your 5 x7" would sell for just $ 8.45??- or do you mean $6.50Aus??- sorry, conversions just aint my thing!! How much do you actually pay to have one printed?? Can i just ask what you do charge for your sitting fee?? as well as how long the shoots go for??
Thanks again
jemma

Hi Jemma,
Some of those questions of yours I just answered on your other post. I meant $6.50 in US dollars. (I know nothing about conversions either!) I don't have my pricing chart right in front of me, but I think I pay something like $2.65 or so to have one printed at www.millerslab.com and they don't charge me shipping. I know my approach to pricing is unconventional and most photographers charge smaller sitting fees and then charge a ton for the prints, but I wanted to make sure I was getting paid to actually do the work whether they ordered prints or not. That's why I charge $100.00 for my sessions and then just have cheap prices for reprints. I'm still working for pretty cheap, but from the customer's p.ov. $100.00 isn't "cheap" just reasonable. I know someday I will raise both my session fees and my reprint prices (my reprint prices slowly go up every few months or so actually) but for now, working for a smaller amount seems to get people in my door and I'm starting to get referrals and repeat business too.
Anyway, hope this info was helpful:)

Dollface

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dollface.net.au
I think April's onto a good thing - Especially when just starting out.
I've been going for a good few months now, since I graduated in Dec, and yes.. my prices probably do need to be put up. But at the moment I'm working on getting repeat customers, which is working - so I'll put my prices up come Jan-07. I think if you are going to put prices up, it's best to do it only once a year either Jan or July for financial year.

I actually don't do prints yet. I don't have the time to organise prints for people. So I charge a slightly higher rate per hour, and then the client gets the photos on a disk. I offer the option of a wedding "book", which I organise through a company here in Sydney. They also offer canvas prints, thank you cards etc, and you can make a pretty penny off the *accepted* price, and the cost price.
Next year, perhaps. When I'm not also working part-time, and raking in the cash-money :p

JamesD

Between darkrooms
Reaction score
ksmattfish said:
When shooting portraits or weddings for friends and family I either charge them 100% or my cost (their choice). If they pay 100% we sign a contract, and they get all the service and materials as any paying client gets. If they pay cost, they get what I say they get. In between it just gets confusing, and it's not worth messing with relationships.

I really like this plan... if I ever sell photographs, then I think I'll use it. Except mum and grandmum and grandpa get free. Maybe my significant other, too. :mrgreen:

Oh, and except weddings... not that I plan to ever do a wedding... -shudder-

Most reactions

New Topics