Discouraged and seeking advice about business

Don't rely too heavily on your website selling people on using your services. Go offline and more analogue. Try giving out some gift certificates for a free session or have someone host a photo party in their home. This should get you started.

Ok, I know this is an old thread but I have been getting some clientele lately and I have revamped my site. For those who had seen it earlier, please compare my recent pictures and website. Thanks

eric holmes photography- powered by SmugMug

I checked out your revamped site, after having viewed it back when this thread started. I have to say, hands down, it is a HUGE improvement! It's simple, clean, and tells somebody looking for a photographer exactly what they want to know without having to dig around for it. I also really enjoyed the portraits you chose for your portfolio- especially the little girl with the giraffe/saffari dress, DARLING! :)

One thing, though, I didn't see prices listed on your website. I just wondered what your reason was for taking them down, and if you feel it has helped or hindered your buisiness.

Thanks!

I never had my prices listed. I am still in the process of nailing down prices. I am trying to compare with my local photogs. I would like to be somewhere in the middle, just under the professionals enough to be enticing and just high enough to be held respectable. I haven't found that median yet.

Eric
I was looking at some of your outdoor portraits.
Do you use fillflash or other lighting to help reduce/eliminate shadows?

All of those picture had the use of a reflector. On Macys pictures I used a fill flash.

I could really get into that look. I have got to learn to get that flash out and not be afraid to use it! The use of that flash make this pictures have an almost surreal look to them. Or maybe not surreal but high fashion.

The street term is 'pop'. The technical term is separation of the subject from the background because, "light advances and dark recedes".

Notice that bare flash can work in direct sunlight.

The sooner you start using flash, the sooner it will be able to charge more because you use flash.

I have said it before. Using flash will put you a step above a lot of your competition. It will create buzz among your clients because it feels more like a pro shoot, which drives WOM advertising, which means more sessions and the momentum to drive price increases.

Find some aspiring models to do some TFCD or TFP with for practice. Don't forget model releases and contracts.

That makes me not even want to get an umbrella or softbox. I really like that style. How far away would you guesstimate that the flash was from the subject?

Most reactions

Back