Discouraged by a master

In all aspects of life there will be people better at things than others. The trick is to do your best. I am not artistic, I enjoy taking photos, but a lot of people I know who are more artistic seem to do art for themselves, and are often then their own worst critic

I was in Iceland for four days and one of the reasons to go was to take a day with a master photographer, Ragnar Sigurdson.

The photography part was fine and I felt fairly confident but after watching Ragnar edit for a couple of hours in his studio I felt totally inadequate in comparison.

Today I started looking at some photos I brought back and, after seeing him work in LR and PS, I could guess how good they could be in his hands and I couldn't see myself ever getting even close to that level.

I couldn't even bring myself to start working on them.

Maybe I'll feel differently in a day or so but right now.......

FYI, his name is Ragnar TH. Sigurdson. Arctic Images Ragnar Sigurdsson or on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/34333120@N00/ )

He has only comparatively few images online since he sells mainly commercially.
Seeing them on the screen does not begin to compare with what they look like printed.
I once introduced a flautist (and composer), Robert Dick, as probably the best flute player in the world, which I sincerely meant. He chastised me, and said that "First, second and third apply to race horses, not artists."

His work is beautiful. You'll never be able to shoot like him and the reason is because his vision is different than yours. He will never be able to shoot like you because your vision is different than his. So, there you have it.

Whenever I put up a new gallery, which isn't very often, I send an email blast to ~400 subscribers.
The Iceland shots, done with LR techniques learned in Iceland, have garnered many more comments/compliments than anything I've ever done before.
Additionally, someone I know from some volunteer work called to buy tutoring time in basic photography as a Christmas present for her son before he travels.
Also my primary care provider, who has a huge multi-doc practice, wants to do a large wall in his office with my work.

Hmmm.
Since my entire photographic life has been in obscurity, I expected only to be recognized, if at all, posthumously so either I was wrong about that or I'm going to die very soon. :bouncingsmileys:

I often think that editing in digital is a VERY under discussed subject area.
We can see composition and settings and darkroom stuf gets talked about lots; but digital gets to be a minefield so fast. There are so many methods so easily done in the computer that everyone has their own workflow and there are so many articles but few string it together into a workflow - and even fewer show us the potential within a photo to edit it. We can see the end result and the starting point; but all the steps inbetween are a mystery to many of us.

I often think its a sad thing because often we see these "great works" as a finished article - we never see the original which leads us to be hyper critical. Anything that isn't pin-sharp - perfectly exposed - et c.... is slashed to bits whilst we don't realise that many of the "great masters" are bringing back those average shots too - often teh best they could get in the light at the time, and then polishing them up.

Or the fact that you can now purposely shoot what would have previously been an undesirable photo for the desired finished product.

I thought some of the photos were stunning and some for me were overdone - too saturated, too sharpened, to the point that I found myself thinking more about what was done to a photo than the photo itself. Maybe this style is what works for this photographer commercially. I feel like the processing should enhance a photo not overpower it.

Got me thinking, aren't there a number of things in life that we learn it's not a good idea to overdo it? lol photography I think might be one of those.

I've found that some of the most worthwhile feedback I've ever gotten has been from an instructor, a professional, etc. that helped me know I was on the right track.

Gee that wasn't what I was thinking, hmm... lol

Are we looking at the right flickr link? I don't really see anything special about his photos. I mean, they're interesting, but not "omg, i should quit" special.. I think what makes (some of) his photos special is being in the right place at the right time and having the right lens for what he wants to achieve.
Isn't this part of what photography is? [emoji39]
(Being at the right place at the right time with the right lens)

But for the record, I really love the route 42 picture. It is gorgeous!

Last edited:
I should have added that if I had taken every critique my Dad passed my way I might not have become a photographer. I guess the difference was that I just wanted to try and be as good as him.

Many times over the years I have seen some truly fantastic photos and felt like throwing my camera in the trash. But I never did. Humility is not a bad thing. It does not mean you can't work hard and raise your competence level to new heights. What is far worse is to think you know it all and whatever brainless snaps you take are totally cool and you vomit them onto the Internet by the hundreds. Daily.

I was in Iceland for four days and one of the reasons to go was to take a day with a master photographer, Ragnar Sigurdson.

The photography part was fine and I felt fairly confident but after watching Ragnar edit for a couple of hours in his studio I felt totally inadequate in comparison.

Today I started looking at some photos I brought back and, after seeing him work in LR and PS, I could guess how good they could be in his hands and I couldn't see myself ever getting even close to that level.

I couldn't even bring myself to start working on them.

Maybe I'll feel differently in a day or so but right now.......

FYI, his name is Ragnar TH. Sigurdson. Arctic Images Ragnar Sigurdsson or on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/34333120@N00/ )

He has only comparatively few images online since he sells mainly commercially.
Seeing them on the screen does not begin to compare with what they look like printed.
Lew,

Someone else's mastery is no rebuke of either you or me. We are our own creation.

Most reactions

Back