Distortion Issues

In the first one, I feel like the trees look like they are starting to spin. Particularly in the top left of the image.

the cat-eye bokeh balls are one of the characteristics of this lens...

Yeah. That is not what I am referring to. I will have to give a better example since I can see why it is hard to tell what I am referring to in this example.

Yes. When shoot in wide open, some lens' entrance pupil maybe partially blocked by the side of the lens at the corner of the frame. I think if the lens has a round hood, it may be worse.

Well, after editing the photo, I am much happier with it. I took what @The_Traveler had to say to create what I feel is a better composition.

33740385268_0a3a415382_b.jpg

In the first one, I feel like the trees look like they are starting to spin. Particularly in the top left of the image.

the cat-eye bokeh balls are one of the characteristics of this lens...

Yeah. That is not what I am referring to. I will have to give a better example since I can see why it is hard to tell what I am referring to in this example.

I know exactly what you're talking about. the swirling bokeh around the edge of the image is a characteristic of the lens. there's thousands of examples of it exhibiting it, and most reviews mention it.

I know exactly what you're talking about. the swirling bokeh around the edge of the image is a characteristic of the lens. there's thousands of examples of it exhibiting it, and most reviews mention it.

I am definitely glad it is a characteristic of the lens and not something I am doing wrong. Even though I am not a big fan of that characteristic, I am in love with the lens.

Do you find yourself using your primes more than your 24-70? I have been thinking about giving up the 24-70 and just going the prime route. Although I may hang onto the 24-70 for video.

It's incredibly versatile and very good at 2.8, but I do find anymore I lean towards the primes for the rendering qualities. I'd like to try out some of Sigma and Tamron's new 1.8 zooms though.

If I am not going for the specific qualities of the 105mm F1.4E and want something a bit shorter I mount the 24-70. The two lenses are different enough that owning both is not a redundant move and the focal lengths don't match anyway. If one shoots more controlled subjects then dumping zooms for a range of primes might indeed be a good move especially if you like the way fast primes draw.

Shooting events, sports or kids and pets running around will be an exercise in frustration with primes only, zooms have their place.

The 105/1.4 is a neat lens, and after owning the 135/2 and 105/2 Defocus Control
lenses for more than a decade, after the 105.1.4 was announced,with AF, I immediately became interested in the 105/1.4, as an alternative to the 200/2-VR for extremely de-focused backdrops, with a similar degree of defocus, but at about five pounds and $4k less. My main reservation is the cat's eye bokeh balls on some OOF specular highlights on some backgrounds. I "see" the very slight swirly bokeh at the edges in some situations,yeah, but it is pretty slight

I bought the 200/2 VR,version1, and while it was a very fast-focusing lens, its short stubby barrel gave it very poor balance,even on the D1h or D2x cameras, which were pretty heavy. I think the 105/1.4 was Nikon's effort to create a new "big glass" lens, at a more affordable price than the 200/2 VR was, and at a significantly lower weight and price point.

Last edited:
I simply love this lens with its razor DOF and unique rendering abilities. Both photos shot at F1.4.

JBP4059_1024wm.jpg
JBP4082_1024wm.jpg

There is an interesting photo of bokeh balls at Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread page 73, thread #3 girl laying on grass and thread #6, couple at night with lights behind them.

Of note, check the orientation of the bokeh ellipses across the image, you can see the circumference orientation and it really displays how this can be perceived as lens distortion. All lenses that produce large CoC’s produce these.

Most reactions

Back