DIY B&W film and print developing

Rob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
Has anyone actually create a guide to DIY film processing for beginners? I couldn't see one here and I reckon it would make a good sticky.

Rob

You know, we're sort of working on that. ;) We've been kicking the tires on a few ideas of getting "basic" stuff out there.

No disagreement; it's a great idea and one we hope would be very useful. :thumbup:

I can post mine... I just started doing my own film a couple months ago, and have a set of instructions written down.

There seem to be a lot of sources on the net. I'd just do a google search.

There's lots of stuff on the net and in books, but all the books I've got are really old and I'm not sure the products they recommend still exist.

Your manual sounds good Hertz, I like things simple with pictures!!

Rob

1) Turn off the light.
2) Reel it.
3) Wet it.
4) Soup it.
5) Shake it.
6) Stop it.
7) Fix it.
8) Wash it.
9) Dry it.
10) Print it.

There you go; in ten easy steps. ;)

ksmattfish said:
1) Turn off the light.
2) Reel it.
3) Wet it.
4) Soup it.
5) Shake it.
6) Stop it.
7) Fix it.
8) Wash it.
9) Dry it.
10) Print it.

I'm thinking of the step by step sheet I got just last year from my photography school. It's more along the lines of this. I'll dig it out and see what we can come up with.

Keeping the basic steps in order is fine to get someone started. When folks wants specifics, that's what the DR forum is here for, with our knowledgable members and wide experience. I don't want a textbook stickied up there. ;) Where's the fun in that?

robhesketh said:
That just made me think of the elephant/giraffe/fridge joke!
How gauche to mention a joke and not tell it. :x

Is it that bad? :lol:

ksmattfish said:
1) Turn off the light.
2) Reel it.
3) Wet it.
4) Soup it.
5) Shake it.
6) Stop it.
7) Fix it.
8) Wash it.
9) Dry it.
10) Print it.

:lmao:

How do you get an elephant into the fridge?
1. Open door.
2. Insert elephant.
3. Close door.

How do you get a giraffe into the fridge?
1. Open door.
2. Remove elephant.
3. Insert giraffe.
4. Close door.

How do you know there are *two* elephants in your fridge?
The door won't close.

How do you know there are *three* elephants in your fridge?
There'll be one waiting outside in the Mini.

How can you tell that an elephant has been in your fridge?
By the footprints in the butter.

While the basic procedures and materials listed in most books and classes are mostly the same, there are usually small differences and different techniques from book to book, instructor to instructor. When a person goes to the trouble to pick up a book, or take a class, check out one (or several) of the thousands of 'how-to develop BW film' websites (check your film manufacturer's site first) or post a question here they learn about different paths through the darkroom.

How about a 'how I develop film' sticky thread where anyone can post how they like to go about it. Hertz could post some or all of his stuff there. I'd love to read about the materials and techniques other folks are using/have used.

I think that the TPF Darkroom Snobs Print Exchange #1 post can be unstickied. :)

There should also be a "Big list of stuff you need to start a darkroom" or maybe "what's in my darkroom" sticky post where people can list what they use, and/or what is needed to start a darkroom.

Most reactions

Back