DIY Family photos....

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are nearly three years overdue, but I finally wrangled the family into some decent clothing and forced them to pretend they were having a good time. :giggle:

I am not sure the angle, even at its tallest- is the most flattering on my husband. So I think next year I need to make my tripod taller, at least for the shots without the monste.....I mean children. ;-) My glasses also caused all sorts of trouble! My last pair never had a glare issue, but these lenses were a nightmare.

We used the Self timer and running in and out of the frame method since I have yet to remember to order a remote.

Lighting was: Key light bounced off a silver soft-box cover thing pinned onto the ceiling and through my shower curtain scrim, fill light was an umbrella through my 5 in 1 diffuser with a second diffuser panel, background light was a speed light on a stand behind us with a VERY small softbox attached. I tried a new texture overlay (of my countertop) on these to liven up the black background.

I thought selfies were hard, but posing 4 people without seeing is nearly impossible. One of these is HEAVILY stitched together in photoshop, can you tell?

C&C is always appreciated so that next years will go more smoothly!

1)
21558359458_b4fc073c5b_c.jpg

2)
21123511554_ee54d3c9d7_z.jpg

3)
21746217345_d6d4cbd0c8_c.jpg

4)
21123511094_b91691eea7_c.jpg

Wonderful!

I really like the warmth you have captured in the skin tones. Perfect!

(edit) You should charge money for these! :allteeth:

Yes, you should get a remote.

I think the height of the camera is just right in the standing group shot. Next year (God willing) the monst....er..children will be taller, so stand your tripod on some books next year.

Last edited:
Wonderful!

I really like the warmth you have captured in the skin tones. Perfect!
Thank you! I'm glad to hear that the skin looks okay. I was a little worried it was too warm but my monitor isn't calibrated so it's hard to perfect at the moment!

Without having met your family in person I'd say it is perhaps a bit warmish. It looks as if you all have been spending lots of time outside. The overall look is one of comfort, warmth, health, IOW: just right.

Without having met your family in person I'd say it is perhaps a bit warmish. It looks as if you all have been spending lots of time outside. The overall look is one of comfort, warmth, health, IOW: just right.
You'll have to fill me in on what IOW stands for.

As for the sun, we do spend all th time we can outdoors in the summer! Lucky we're not all red! :giggle:

In other words.

IOW = in other words

Nice looking shots, nice looking fam. Even more impressive is the fact that you were running from camera to pose and was still able to get some great shots. I can't get my two knuckle heads to sit still, ever.

IOW = in other words

Nice looking shots, nice looking fam. Even more impressive is the fact that you were running from camera to pose and was still able to get some great shots. I can't get my two knuckle heads to sit still, ever.
Thank you!

Our tactic was Bribery; Ice cream and a movie!......And some threatening, of which nature I am unable to disclose in a public forum. :giggle:

I got 7 shots out of like.....well... I don't want to count but let's just say my fully charged battery was dead by the end of it all.

Very nicely done. IMHO, you nailed it......I really like the warmth. I've always printed portraits a tad warm (film).....very nice, indeed.....

Very nicely done. IMHO, you nailed it......I really like the warmth. I've always printed portraits a tad warm (film).....very nice, indeed.....

Thank you,

My eyes (or monitor) must be off; these all look super warm almost orange peel like to me.
And the tilt of his head is bothersome in the first.

View attachment 108801
Thank you for your thoughts!
I've come to terms with the fact that I am at a deadlock when it comes to perfect color balance until I can invest in a proper monitor calibration device. I don't like the 2 sliders in LR, but I like the eye dropper option to adjust it. I prefer the three color sliders in cs6, but It doesn't have an eye dropper. *sigh*

@The_Traveler I opened this on my desktop and honestly your edit color looks SUPER magenta. I know my monitor (an iMac) is off, but I didn't think it was THAT off!!! Hopefully the prints don't turn out terrible...YIKES! Perhaps I should allow them to color correct.

Actually the counterpoise of the gentleman's head is aesthetically appealing and creates a visual dynamic that is lost when it is moved to a static vertical position.

Okay, here I bumped exposure by half a stop based on another suggestion, and toned down the orange a bit.

image.jpg

Actually the counterpoise of the gentleman's head is aesthetically appealing and creates a visual dynamic that is lost when it is moved to a static vertical position.

Thanks! I kinda liked the tilt too!

Last edited:
much better! awesome work.

Most reactions

Back