DIY Strobe Battery Pack Questions

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, this is just in the planning stages, but I'd like to get all my ducks in a row before I fire up the soldering iron.

If my assumptions are right, a very servicable battery pack for my Neewer C-300 strobes could be made for around $50 with 7amp lead acid battery, a cheap power inverter and an inline fuse.

The only issue I can see is the quality of the electricity produced by this setup. This will produce a "dirty" electricity that could potentially fry some fine electronics.

Since a pure sine wave power inverter is prohibitively expensive for this application it's important for me to know if my strobe units will be damaged by a dirty electric source. I assume that since the unit is all analog there won't be a problem, but I'm not an electroscienceographist I can't be sure.

So, anyone in the know here? Any way for me to tell if I could run this setup?

If your strobes are indeed completely analog, then "square AC" shouldn't cause a problem, BUT are you absolutely certain that there is no digital circuitry inside? I wouldn't be surprised if there was a digital control circuit or something in there.

Nope. Not certain. As a matter of fact, there more than likelt is SOME in there, but with all analog inputs and potentiometers, I think there is a far better chance of success than with units that have digital readouts and momentary switch inputs.

If there is a way I can know for sure, I will go for it. If not... i will invest in a couple miles of extention cords. ;)

Cheap inverter plus digital components equals
burn.jpg

If my assumptions are right, a very serviceable battery pack for my Neewer C-300 strobes ..Any way for me to tell if I could ru I n this setup? (FIFY)
Annnnn..d if your assumptions are wrong, then what?

If my assumptions are right, a very serviceable battery pack for my Neewer C-300 strobes ..Any way for me to tell if I could ru I n this setup? (FIFY)
Then it's back to Amazon, and $90 later he has a replacement strobe.

Exactly. It's not like it's a thousand dollar unit here...

And to reiterate... if there isn't a sure fire way to determine the DIY battery won't destroy the strobe, I won't make it.

And to reiterate... if there isn't a sure fire way to determine the DIY battery won't destroy the strobe, I won't make it.
Somewhere you could find an electrical diagram that shows the input power requirements. If what they are doing is taking AC and rectifying it to DC, then maybe that is where you tap in to provide battery power.

It seems silly to invert DC to AC, which then is rectified to DC for the capacitors to use.

Just wondering here.

I believe the optimal word in your latest dissertation is FIRE!!!!:biggrin-new:

no fires in this video:

sine wave inverters arent very expensive anymore -- this video shows one for $50.

But i honestly dont see the harm in powering a monolight with a modified sin wave power inverter. Your'e charging a capacitor, you're not running a motor.

Last edited:
no fires in this video:

sine wave inverters arent very expensive anymore -- this video shows one for $50.

But i honestly dont see the harm in powering a monolight with a modified sin wave power inverter. Your'e charging a capacitor, you're not running a motor.

I don't either, but the OP wasn't planning on using a sin wave power inverter.

Well no, I said I wasn't planning on using a PURE sine wave inverter, so there's that...

Modified sine is still a dirty power source.

Sorry, could you repeat that? I didn't catch it the first few times you posted it. ;)

Well no, I said I wasn't planning on using a PURE sine wave inverter, so there's that...

Modified sine is still a dirty power source.

Sorry, could you repeat that? I didn't catch it the first few times you posted it. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back