Do any of you do your own package printing?

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just curious is any of you do your own package printing? Something I have been thinking about getting into but not sure if its more trouble than its worth. Thoughts.

Are you talking about a print package (different sizes of prints etc)....or are you talking about the packaging that you put the prints into?

If you do your own printing, the main problem is doing enough to pay for the gear. Home printers WILL NOT do. It is a problem of inks and thus image permanence. If I remember correctly.

And there are different ways of dealing with it. Some machines use dye ink, others actually print on real photo paper which goes through chemical baths.

I have a friend who has a small photo store and I can ask more details if you want.

I don't have 'print packages' per say. I do have a single price for 8 wallet sized prints, as that is something that my lab offers.

On the print ordering part of my site, I just list the sizes that are available and let the clients put together whatever combination that they want. I could design packages and put them up for clients to choose from, but if I were to do that, I'd try to design them with the intent of enticing the client to order/spend more than they would normally. For example, if 8x10 prints are $50, then maybe a package of two 8x10s and two 5x7s is $90-$100. You add value to the package, without adding too much more to your cost of goods sold.

I think that some clients may like the idea of packages, as that is something that has been common for a very long time. They are used to it and maybe even expect it. Other people might like the idea of not being locking into packages and they like the idea of choosing just the prints they want and 'adding them to cart'.

As for printing, I have all my pro printing done by my lab. The do have some package templates/options...but even if I use something like that, I aks the lab to cut the prints anyway...so they are all individual prints when I deliver them to the clients.

Thanks Cloud, I am trying to figure out a way to up sales and still offer good value. I use the same lab as you Mike and i know they offer it but I still need to buy a cart proofing system. I did not like zenfolio/smug mike but am computer stupid sometimes with programs and I guess I need to look at a proofing system again.

Check out Photocart. Pictures Pro - Photography Shopping Cart | Online Proofing | Photo Cart

It is a bit of upfront cost to purchase it, but it's a one time cost and you don't have to pay a monthly/yearly fee or commission, like you do with many of those sites. Plus, the application resides on your own website, you you're not sending your clients to another website. Of course, you need to have your own website to start with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back