do any of you play musical instruments?

carlita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
i'm just curious is all. i've noticed that a lot of the people in the photo department at my university play guitar. i wonder if there's some sort of connection there.

i play oboe and percussion, but i've never learned any string instruments. i tried to learn guiltar once, but could never get used to the tips of my fingers constantly being numb. i want to learn to play harmonica though. probably because stevie wonder rocks my world.

anyway. what do you guys play? or what would you LIKE to play?

i used to be able to play guitar and trumpet; now i'm lucky if i can play the radio in my car.

a woman with a coloratura soprano voice that can play piano can melt me. in light of that, i have no desire to play anything anymore; listening and falling to pieces fills my void just nicely.

Been a while since we posted a musicians thread....

Violin is my main instrument. Been playing since I was 12. When I was in my first year of college I had my car stolen while I was in class. I had symphony rehearsal that evening so my violin went with it. I didn't play for about 5 years after that and have been playing on and off for the last couple of years.

I also played guitar in a ska band for a while. I just sold my electric guitar to purchase a slide scanner... just moving the money from one hobby to the other :D

No dead horse here. There was only one musicians thread when this forum first started up.

I think the connection is more a natural extension of the creative instinct. Not a huge leap. I have some musician buddies, really talented people who put out CD's and play out. One friend has even toured a couple times with the Indigo Girls last year and opened for them (he's on Amy Ray's label).

I took piano lessons for some years as a kid, was in high school choir and glee club and all tha happy stuff. I don't play anything these days. I'm real passionate about music, all kinds. Probably why I don't try to make my own!!! :wink:

guitar, bass, drums, piano, banjo, mandolin, dulcimer....i think thats about it.

By the age of 16 I was touring regionally with my band. we were called "seven", after the sins, not the movie.

cross Filter with the deftones and that was us.

I hope that wasnt too boastful, but I was very proud of my father for teaching me all those instruments.

md

If you're just stating the facts how can that be boastful?? I think it's fabulous. You're my kinda..... well, I think you're a guy, with a freaky kind of avatar, and a tag by an even freakier Administrator. But I digress.... :D

Rock on, I say. :thumbsup:

If you're in a college town, every other guy thinks he plays the guitar.

MD, You're only about 10 instruments behind Prince. Better get crackin'

ha ha!! That may be true, but some of us DO know the difference between being enthralled by a really great riff, and having to bite one's tongue not to beg someone else to STOP PLAYING.... :lmao:

I've stood in many a club and done both!!

i play the irish flute so well that my dog howls and makes noises that he never makes at any other time.

they resemble the ewoks

matt's gonna have to write us a song, record it and send us the mp3

metroshane said:
If you're in a college town, every other guy thinks he plays the guitar.

geez, ain't that the truth! though there really are several in the photo department that aren't bad.

what is it with guys anyway? is there just some phase every guy goes through where he thinks he needs to learn guitar to get laid or something? like a rite of passage. my brother bought a guitar and never learned to play. my exboyfriend had one... never learned to play it. and my current boyfriend has an electric and an acoustic. at least he knows how to tune his. :roll:

carlita said:
metroshane said:
is there just some phase every guy goes through where he thinks he needs to learn guitar to get laid or something?

are you suggesting that women always put out for guitar players? that's....trite.

me? love music. always have. never needed it as an 'aid', if you dig.

most men i've met are......well, 'men'. i think the guitar phase is just that; a phase for most. perhaps some do it for sexual reasons, others do it b/c it's the only form of pseudo-introspection that they know. i had a college room mate that was the latter; drove me friggin' batty.

I play guitar. When I say play I really mean wrestle. I'm self taught but not very good. For some strange reason, when i do play, one of my cats comes into the room and starts using my leg as a scratching post. The playing soon ceases.

Most reactions

Back