Do Canon FD Mount Lenses Work on 5D MKII?

Petriao

You must have been a slow learner, and it seems you still are.
You should also take heed of some of your own demands...Since you are still a slow learner, let me know and I will spell it out for you.

I have no experience with this but... from the very little research that I found I think the answer is that the FD lens will not work but anything can be modified or changed and they obviously make an adapter so that you can use the lens. And there is also proof of pictures taken with FD lens on newer bodies. So take it for what its worth like I said I have no personal experience with this I just thought it would be fun to join the conversation.

EF lenses have a different mount and meter coupling (electronic) from FD and FL lenses. They are not compatible!

The mount issue was solved 5 years ago. There are now many different basic adaptors available with and without (macro) glass.

Since around 2006, there have also existed "AF-Confirm" adaptors. These have built-in electronic chips. As you turn the manual focus ring, they will give the "beep" and flash confirmation. They worked in Canon M and Av but not Tv mode.

Now there is a new generation of chips in the best (and more expensive) adaptors. They do all of the above, but also deal with the meter coupling Petraio Prime refers to in his comment. The ones I own work by pressing the DOF button 3 times quickly. This enters a "hack" mode, you can then electronically set the same F stop you have manually selected, using the wheel on the back and confirm by pressing the DOF button again. Now the metering works. Mr Prime, I did not believe this either, it sounded impossible. I was VERY VERY doubtful when I first heard of this, but after buying an EOS adaptor for a Summicron 35mm from ebay seller happypagehk I discovered that, in fact, the metering automatically worked pretty near perfectly.

If you want to play with thrift-store lenses, the adaptors below will seem pricy ($50-$80). Use cheap Chinese ones instead. If you already own some great lenses with a film system and want to use on a DSLR, these are for you.

ebay seller happypagehk sells adaptors for Contax, Leica, M42, Olympus, Nikon. I have Leica and M42. His ebay shop is here
http://shop.ebay.com/happypagehk/m.html

ebay seller ml-gvalt sells EOS-FD adaptors (with glass) with a new programmable chip which work in a similar manner, I use one
items - Get great deals on AF confirm Adaprters, Peleng Fisheye Lens 8mm items on eBay Stores!

I have no link to these people, I've just used the adaptors. They are the best (at the moment). I have quite a few cheap Chinese ones I bought along the way as I experimented. Now I have a good solution to use my legacy lenses on a modern DSLR, complete with metering and AF confirmation.

This information is offered because I have been researching this over the last couple of years, I've found a very good solution, and I'm sharing it here. I do so hope it is received with the same good spirit.

Last edited:
Here's the FD-EOS adaptor with focus confirm chip

fd-eos-lens.jpg

Just a few thoughts... (I use a wide variety of adapted lenses)

* The one with optics, looks like a waste of money. What's the quality of that optic you are inserting into the light path? Like extenders with the disadvantages.

* The one without optics, is also far from ideal because it doesn't maintain proper flange distance

* You cannot compare adapting FD (42mm flange) to EF (44mm) with Leica R (47mm) to EF. Because Leica R lenses were designed with a longer flange distance than EF mounts, adaptation is easier because you have 3mm of difference to work in an adapter.

* "hack" mentioned seems like a royal Pita... but I guess I'd have to try it out to really know.

* If you want to take advantage of older manual lenses, Nikon, Pentax, and m4/3rd (minus the 2x crop) are far better solutions.

* My observation.... most people who adapt older lenses (and stick to it) are interested in the characteristics of the older lenses. Most that did it to save money in general walk away in frustration. I'm actually surprised there is interest here... Other than myself, I haven't met any other photographers (in person) who actually does this and feels it was worth the hassle.

I am just simply lost for words.

target.jpg

A photo taken with a Canon 20D with a FD 50mm f/1.8

So Petraio Prime would you kindly please shut the **** up since you now have well and truly shown that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

The photo has been taken with the supposedly incompatible equipment. You're wrong. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION. You're years of selling this gear doesn't stand up to 2 minutes using Google. I suggest you try that one day, you may learn something.

I'm officially leaving this thread.

From my experience the adapters are pretty average. Those without the element prevent useful focus past a few feet. Those with an element fitted act as a mild teleconverter and reduce the quality of the FD glass considerably. My only solution is this...fit a focus confirm adapter (without the element, but with the confirm chip) directly to the FD lens assembly.
So far I've modified the 55mm f1.2 SSC and it's brilliant, so next to modify is the 85mm F1.2L, then a 200mm f2.8. With a machine shop it ain't that hard.
The 55mm is amazing, hopefully the 85mm will be more so...:mrgreen:

Razz.

profile.php

I thought the 55mm was great...but the 85mm f1.2 is outstanding! Just remember to throw away the 'floating' element. It's a waste of space.:mrgreen:

Razz.

I see this topic has already been posted but was wondering, has anyone used the newer FD to EOS adapter with the chip for focusing? Ifound one on ebay but dont know if its worth while or not.

Last edited:
Some work perfectly as far as focus confirm goes, but I have found the earlier versions a little inaccurate at times. The latest ( I think it's called generation 4 and programable) is OK, but I experienced a back focus problem with earlier versions so would avoid those. The type with an element act as a mild teleconverter and result in a drop off in lens resolution too. Performance may also depend on the focal length lens you are using. I'd place more emphasis on the optical outcome and less on the focus confirm and remember the focus screens on AF DSLR's are not really suited to MF....It's just a case of suck it an' see :lol:

Razz.

Most reactions

Back