do i have skill or am i fooling myself

You have a couple of images that are sharp (atleast appear that way in the image size shown here) But truth is, the subjects are just uninteresting. Keep having fun and learning. My guess is "fun" is why you chose photography and "learning" is why you joined TPF, no? So enjoy photography.

Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing more.

On the second pic if you decrease the "luminence" for the blue shade the sky will be bluer and less of a dull distraction

"do I have skill or am I fooling myself"

WELL, that question cannot be answered by us after we have seen two pictures...it's like asking if a novel is well-done after having read a mere two pages of it...we just do not have enough to go on...

that is very true. i have more pictures posted through instagram to my flickr account (Flickr: beamer81's Photostream). the quality isnt the best but it is all i have right now. however after joining here i might consider posting my full resolution photos to my flickr account. i am just tickled pink by the amount of feedback i am getting.

i like the more critical feedback a little better only because it is meant to help me improve or provide direction as i pursue photography more. my brother says that from an English major stand point feedback is only really helpful when it points out what doesnt work. telling people that everything you do is great or only positive things doesnt allow for growth. however unsolicited feedback isnt good either.

and now i am rambling a little. overall i just wanted to share my appreciation with the response i have already received.

I'm not sure I agree. There is no "perfect" photo. I feel C&C needs to be a mixture of postitive and negative feedback. You have to let a person know what they are doing right, and how to improve on what's not. Your 2 photos are exactly that. Your exposure and focus is great, but you need to work on your subject matter.

beamer - i think what you're doing is pretty appropriate for where you're at. I didn't want to be discouraging. But if you want to improve artistically, you kind of have to think beyond strictly visual impact - what will look "cool". By all means keep experimenting!!! Keep doing what you're doing, but think more about *why* you're doing it, what interests you and if that is worth doing. If it's not thought provoking for you, then just move on. Really try to pin point your interests in thematic values. Don't get stuck in simple 'visually striking' or 'emotionally charged' images. The last thing we need is another Zack Arias.

Testing to see if some pompous ass blogger is using the search function, eh? It's SCIENCE!

Oh. I would LOVE to see Arias throw a fit. Not saying he's not a technically excellent photographer, but that's about where my appreciation ends for that guy.

"Do I have skill or am I fooling myself"

I'd say it's too early to tell; but I would say that you have "potential". And that counts for a lot. You also have the desire to learn and to accept criticism so that counts for a lot too.

As far as your two examples: The first one is ok and I'm not concerned that it might be a cliche shot. after all, do we stop taking pictures of beautiful sunsets just because millions of people have done that before us ? No. But we do try in some way to bring a fresh way of seeing it.
The second shot is a snapshot and very indicative of the kind of picture one takes when they first get a camera and suddenly everything begins to look like a great subject for a photo. Most often these just don't work because there's nothing there to grab the attention of the viewer. Some day you will be able to see a potential shot and, with skills you've learned, be able to draw the viewer into your vision.

So, do you have skill ? Not yet, but you will acquire skill as you go along. I do think you have potential and probably some talent just waiting for the skills to catch up.
My advice is this...Each time you take a photo consider what you are trying to convey to a future viewer who is not there to see what you are seeing at that moment.

"Do I have skill or am I fooling myself"

I'd say it's too early to tell; but I would say that you have "potential". And that counts for a lot. You also have the desire to learn and to accept criticism so that counts for a lot too.

So, do you have skill ? Not yet, but you will acquire skill as you go along. I do think you have potential and probably some talent just waiting for the skills to catch up.
My advice is this...Each time you take a photo consider what you are trying to convey to a future viewer who is not there to see what you are seeing at that moment.

i was thinking that i should have changed the question to 'do i have potential or am i fooling myself' cause you are very correct, i dont believe i have the skill. but i hope there is the potential in me to take great pictures. and as i look back at my older pictures i do see my potential growing and that is encouraging.
i am not planning on stopping taking pictures any time soon, there is something about it that just makes me happy and gives my life a sense of purpose. and as long as i am willing to challenge myself and grow i know this journey will be never ending.

Don't get stuck in simple 'visually striking' or 'emotionally charged' images. The last thing we need is another Zack Arias.

who is zack arias?

Just one of those Rock Star photographers, kind of made a reputation for himself using the internet. He's good, but it's all about the result. Don't get me wrong, he's good technically, way better than I am in that regard, and I'm not going to pretend otherwise, and he makes images that are very visually striking, but I kind of feel like that's all that is going on. I feel like his images are more about him than the subject. He has a few that are really outstanding, this in particular is just fantastic (nsfw if your boss blushes easy):

http://pcdn.500px.net/1025626/7278a2ca2732fea00ffe9a4f682e72a53514292c/4.jpg

I just don't see a lot of consistency. Well, aside from consistently lighting everything in the exact same "check out my badass lighting skillz" way. There is no subtly to his work at all and reading his blog and watching his videos, he kind of has a formula to everything he does.

Last edited:
Well, who is your audience? And what is your motivation?

Becoming a good photographer is a process, with no particular end destination. There is technical stuff, there is esthetic stuff, there is deep psychological stuff, and there is pretty and shallow stuff. Some things will appeal only to you. Some things will appeal to lots of other people. Somewhere along the process, you'll start to get images that you really like and feel good about. That is already a good place to be. If you can make images that others get excited about, then bonus. If you're not sure about why you like some stuff, then by all means throw your stuff out on this (and other forums) and see what other people like. You may find that you have a unique perspectivem or you may find that your tastes run along with many others. There's really no "right" esthetic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back