Do I need a 1080p projector?

SHaller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've gotten some wonderful help here so far and I have another question. I have been doing some calculations on start up business expenses and I came across an issue. I plan on doing pretty much all in person proofing, and I wanted to get a projector. The bigger the images the better(a lot of the advice I have been getting). This made me wonder how much resolution do I need? There are plenty of decent projectors on amazon for around $300, but they are somewhat low resolution. Will 600x800 be enough or will I have to shell out the extra $ for one that does 1080p? I don't need this for anything else but showing clients pictures.

with the cost of flat screens so low, why wouldn't you just HDMI to one? AM I not understanding correctly?

with the cost of flat screens so low, why wouldn't you just HDMI to one? AM I not understanding correctly?

Well i did think of that, but I will mostly be doing proofing at a clients house and I cant exactly be lugging around a big TV. Also, I wanted to display the photos as big as possible and I cant count on all clients to have huge tvs.

The projection surface (screen) is just as important as the projector.... A white wall doesn't cut it.... you need a projection screen with the appropriate gain for the projector and ambient lighting conditions in the room. So your projector idea is more unwieldy than a flat panel, and less reliable in terms of accurate color reproduction. Your clients wont be impressed by the use of a projector.... they will be impressed by you keeping your proofing sessions non-invasive and simple.... avoid having to setup up too much equipment whenever possible. I would suggest a 24" IPS monitor with HDMI input and a carry case.... Dell makes one that is surprisingly good for consumer brand electronics. Keep it simple. If someone came into my house for a proofing session and needed to set up a projector and screen and make sure the windows were blacked out and run power to the projector and level the thing and focus it and screw around with the screen..... man, I'd be fed up with them before we even looked at photos....

I understand...but these days, most everyone has a nice large flatscreen HDTV, easy to transport the laptop and HDMI cable...a projector isn't going to deliver the same quality, at least not ones I've seen.

I agree. While I do believe that 'larger is better'...and that projecting is the easiest way to get really big....it's just too unwieldy to take to a client's home and set up.

Better options might be a large screen laptop, a large external monitor run off of a laptop or possibly the clients own TV.
But really, in-person sales, when done in the client's home, isn't really the best scenario. It puts you on their territory, not them on yours...so you loose a bunch of advantages that you would have had, if they had come to you.

The photographers who are doing well with in-person sales, have the clients come to their studio/sales area, or to their in-home sales area.

I've even heard of a photographer or two, who rent retail space, just for the purposes of having a sales area (and having a retail presence in their town). They don't have a studio there and they might have their working office there. It's just a room to show off their photos and a place to conduct sales meetings/presentations.
That would obviously be more expensive than going to client's homes...but if it doubles your average sales...it's probably worth it.

I understand...but these days, most everyone has a nice large flatscreen HDTV, easy to transport the laptop and HDMI cable...a projector isn't going to deliver the same quality, at least not ones I've seen.

Only hesitiation I'd have to using a clients TV is god knows what setting they have the colors at. They will have either left it on 'torch' or otherwise fooled around with it. Good luck getting a properly calibrated set. Probably don't want all the bridesmaids red dresses looking like plum when you show the pictures.;)

If you are sold on projector, certainly go with the 1080 res.
Anything less generally looks like crap.
I just bought a small, light (3 lbs) short throw Epsom for a club projector.
That and a 30" table top screen would work in any environment.

I agree. While I do believe that 'larger is better'...and that projecting is the easiest way to get really big....it's just too unwieldy to take to a client's home and set up.

Better options might be a large screen laptop, a large external monitor run off of a laptop or possibly the clients own TV.
But really, in-person sales, when done in the client's home, isn't really the best scenario. It puts you on their territory, not them on yours...so you loose a bunch of advantages that you would have had, if they had come to you.

The photographers who are doing well with in-person sales, have the clients come to their studio/sales area, or to their in-home sales area.

I've even heard of a photographer or two, who rent retail space, just for the purposes of having a sales area (and having a retail presence in their town). They don't have a studio there and they might have their working office there. It's just a room to show off their photos and a place to conduct sales meetings/presentations.
That would obviously be more expensive than going to client's homes...but if it doubles your average sales...it's probably worth it.

I would love to have my own sales area, but my house is far from a prime candidate for one. Its fairly cramped and I feel that me being a college student living with my parents, I would be worse off selling at my house than someone else's. After all the posts it looks like my best option is getting a good sized monitor. Since I'm cuurently editing with only my laptop, the monitor will kill 2 birds with one stone. Any recommendations for a 24 to 27" for around $300.

Most reactions

Back