Do I need a copywrite release for this?

Sweetsomedays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was invited to photograph a sporting event last weekend. They waved the entrance fee and I agreed to share my pictures. The host of the event contacted me asking for hi-res versions of some of the photos.

I want to give them permission to use them to promote the sport, their upcoming events and the competitors. I do not however want to sign my rights to these photo's away.

Do I need to just include a letter stating they have my permission to use them or do I need to find a specific kind of copyrwrite releaase?

Thanks, let me know if I need to clarify anything.

It's great that they liked your work, and it's good exposure.
Since you took the photos, the images are automatically your copyright. If you 'give' the high-res files to the host I'd definitely include a letter for what purposes they are allowed to use the photos, and include that they cannot sell them. In addition I'd tell them to add your credits to each published photo.

Good luck!

I have a little experience in this field. Firstly confirm the exact uses they plan for this. If it is for images on a website, they dont need high res. If it is for just some promotional work in a paper, then give them a single publication right use form. Covers you. If for 'proper' advertising, then charge them proper money for it, not just free admission, or give them 3-5 high res shots with compliments, with your credit on the image. They may put more work your way.....

Hope this helped....

Thank you that does help.

I already agreed to this, so I would not feel right turning around and asking them to pay for anything so long as they arent profiting from the pictures directly. It's their first event, and I am still building my portfolio so it was mutualy beneficial. I do think if they want to sell them they should purchase the copywrite. But I will be sure to cover all the basis in my letter.

Cheers!

You can't include a letter. You have to include a contract explicitly stating any and all rights and restrictions on use of the photos, and both of you have to sign it, and both of you have to receive a copy. Otherwise you have no protection whatsoever.

You can't include a letter. You have to include a contract explicitly stating any and all rights and restrictions on use of the photos, and both of you have to sign it, and both of you have to receive a copy. Otherwise you have no protection whatsoever.

The problem with contracts is that unless they are written up by a lawyer who specializes in copyright, they are generally full of holes. A flawed contract can mean that a photographer is giving up rights normally protected under the act...sometimes very unintentionally.

I would tend to send out a letter indicating that the photos are protected by current copyright law, but on written aknowlegement of this letter, these are the uses that I will permit for your organization only:

Then specifically list uses and conditions and end the letter with: "All other uses are protected by current copyright law.

skieur

I actually have a contract for such a release. (Made by Miller Labs).
It basically says, "I give the client permission to use x photo for x purpose, x amount of times."
Easy sneazy.

Most reactions

Back