Do I need a DSLR?

jsearing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
I recently bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-H7. It takes great pictures! I am just getting into photography and thought I was buying a pro camera. After searching the web I see that I should have gotten an DSLR camera.

Do I really need one? Wont my Sony take the same pics? What's the difference?

The Sony allows me to manually change the exposure (aperture,shutter etc.)

Isn't that all you need to do to take great pics?

I have the opportunity to take it back if I want. I could then and only afford either a Cannon Rebel Xt or a Nikin D40. Both are DSLR camera's.

What to do.... hmmm

Any help with my situation would be really great.

Johnny

Welcome to the forum.

Do you need a DSLR...only you can answer that.

Cameras like the H7, can and do take great photos, especially in good light. However, there are some limitations.

Firstly, have a look at THIS. Check out the sensor size. The Sony has a significantly smaller sensor. This will mean more 'noise'...especially at higher ISO (which you need when the light isn't great).
Also, the Sony has a built-in lens. It might be a good lens, or even a great lens...but it's the only lens you will ever be able to use on that camera. The SLR cameras have interchangeable lenses, so that you can use different lenses....you can upgrade or use a lens that is most appropriate for the job you are doing.

Lets not forget resale value. A DLSR will loose value (all electronics do) but it will hold it's value much better than a camera like the Sony. The lenses, however, will hold their value much, much better...especially if you buy top quality lenses.

When you buy an SLR, you are buying into a system and you can upgrade or change either the lens or the camera when the time comes. With something like the H7, when you upgrade, you basically have to move on.

That's all well and good...but an SLR system will be more expensive, do doubt about that. But it may be cheaper to buy something better now...rather than doing that in a year, after spending money on lesser gear.

Hello,
I recently bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-H7. It takes great pictures! I am just getting into photography and thought I was buying a pro camera. After searching the web I see that I should have gotten an DSLR camera.

Do I really need one? Wont my Sony take the same pics? What's the difference?

I have the opportunity to take it back if I want. I could then and only afford either a Cannon Rebel Xt or a Nikin D40. Both are DSLR camera's.

What to do.... hmmm

Any help with my situation would be really great.

Johnny

I would recommend taking it back. Only because after awhile you will realize that you would much rather have a DSLR. I bought an advanced P&S back in september, great camera.. took good pictures, but not at the quality of a DSLR. I would get alot of noise sometimes.. Now i hardly have any.

I kinda wish i wouldnt have wasted my money on the P&S, but it got me into photography. But what makes a good photo isnt the camera.. Its the person working the camera and having an eye for photography.

No that's just the mechanics. :wink: :p

If it's within your budget, I'd definitely return it for a DSLR. You'll get a much larger sensor, far more sensitivity that will let you shoot in a much wider range of conditions, far greater resolving power, a camera that will shoot continuously and re-focus and re-meter for each frame at high speed, the ability to switch lenses to almost anything you want for greater artistic freedom, etc.

Welcome to the forum.

Do you need a DSLR...only you can answer that.

Cameras like the H7, can and do take great photos, especially in good light. However, there are some limitations.

Firstly, have a look at THIS. Check out the sensor size. The Sony has a significantly smaller sensor. This will mean more 'noise'...especially at higher ISO (which you need when the light isn't great).
Also, the Sony has a built-in lens. It might be a good lens, or even a great lens...but it's the only lens you will ever be able to use on that camera. The SLR cameras have interchangeable lenses, so that you can use different lenses....you can upgrade or use a lens that is most appropriate for the job you are doing.

Lets not forget resale value. A DLSR will loose value (all electronics do) but it will hold it's value much better than a camera like the Sony. The lenses, however, will hold their value much, much better...especially if you buy top quality lenses.

When you buy an SLR, you are buying into a system and you can upgrade or change either the lens or the camera when the time comes. With something like the H7, when you upgrade, you basically have to move on.

That's all well and good...but an SLR system will be more expensive, do doubt about that. But it may be cheaper to buy something better now...rather than doing that in a year, after spending money on lesser gear.

Hi Big Mike,
Thanks for the link and the info. It was good to be able to compare the 2 if I plan to go that route.

J

But what makes a good photo isnt the camera.. Its the person working the camera and having an eye for photography.

Your absolutely right. That's why I was wondering if I actually really needed an SLR right now. Probably will take it back though. Now deciding on the 2 cameras.

J

Your absolutely right. That's why I was wondering if I actually really needed an SLR right now. Probably will take it back though. Now deciding on the 2 cameras.

J

The thing is, if you feel like this is something that you really want to get into, there is no reason not to take the camera back. Instead of 6 months down the road kicking yourself because you want to upgrade and now don't have the money....... Just my logic. :)

Go for the Canon!!! (let the Nikon v Canon war begin!!!!) LOL

(Really though, I am joking, please don't start that war) :lol:

I'd personally take it back. But know this, the DSLR, or SLR, world is a scary place full of expensive equipment. The lens that comes with most DSLR's is...ok...but you'll eventually find yourself wanting to buy new lenses either for Image Quality (IQ) or different focal ranges. Regardless, even 'cheap' lenses are a couple hundred bucks. I'd say I have about 5k wrapped up in lenses at the moment. That's a lot of freaking cash, hopefully I can recoup it with my wedding business. I guess only time will tell.

The thing is, if you feel like this is something that you really want to get into, there is no reason not to take the camera back. Instead of 6 months down the road kicking yourself because you want to upgrade and now don't have the money....... Just my logic. :)

Go for the Canon!!! (let the Nikon v Canon war begin!!!!) LOL

(Really though, I am joking, please don't start that war) :lol:

Your right. Thanks. The Cannon does seem better after looking at the them side by side. The XTi has 10mp.

J

Your right. Thanks. The Cannon does seem better after looking at the them side by side. The XTi has 10mp.

J

Honestly, the only problem I have with the D40 is the whole lens autofocus thing.

No lens motor in body means non-AF-S/AF-I lenses are manual focus only

J

Do not let megapixels sell you on a camera. It isnt the megapixels that matter, its the sensor.

Megapixels are there to sell number people on a camera... Hmm, this camera has 6mp.. this one has 10... clearly this one with 10 is far superior to the 6.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Do not let megapixels sell you on a camera. It isnt the megapixels that matter, its the sensor.

Megapixels are there to sell number people on a camera... Hmm, this camera has 6mp.. this one has 10... clearly this one with 10 is far superior to the 6.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

didn't know that thanks. So I guess it's the XT. I found one on Amazon with a EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens for 459.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Rebel-XT-f3-5-5-6/dp/B0007QKN22#productPromotions

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
jsearing,

Nikon d40- 6mp
Nikon d40x- 10mp

Canon XT- 6mp
Canon XTi- 10mp

If I were you though I'd think I'd go for a Pentax K100D or a Pentax K10D. I like what they offer over Canon and Nikon in this case.

If you're just starting out, and don't have an investment in lenses, looking at pentax, olympus (new one with 4/3 sensor), and other brands may not be a bad idea. I've heard good things about the Pentax, and they are coming out with the K20D and the K200D pretty soon.

If you're just starting out, and don't have an investment in lenses, looking at pentax, olympus (new one with 4/3 sensor), and other brands may not be a bad idea. I've heard good things about the Pentax, and they are coming out with the K20D and the K200D pretty soon.

Right now I have 600 to spend on a SLR. Any other options?

Johnny

Most reactions

Back